It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 am

The Basic Rules for Broken Rooms 
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Post The Basic Rules for Broken Rooms
Hullo, folks,

Once the players finished the basics of character creation (see the thread here in the Pass It Along folder), I introduced them to the game system mechanics.

The game mechanics used for the Broken Rooms RPG is the Momentum game system. This game system uses multiple d12s to resolve tasks and actions. Simply put, characters have three Attributes - Body, Mind, and Soul - along with a fourth Attribute, Depth, that is used for a specific purpose, and one has a number of dice (d12s) in each Attribute. Skills are purchased and ranked by Skill Level, with the Target Number set by the Skill Level at which the character has the skill. Thus, a character could have the Mind Attribute at 4 dice, with the Science Skill at Familiar (9+), which means the character needs to roll 9 or better on the dice. For each die on which a 9+ is rolled, the character gets one success. So, to use this example, if I roll my 4 dice and get a 9, 10, 4, 1, I have two successes - the 9 and the 10. However, the game adds another neat mechanic called Momentum (hence the name of the game). For all Nearsider characters, if two of the dice rolled sum to a total of 13, the player character gains a point of Momentum (a type of energy that results from travelling the Nearside), with which the player an do remarkable feats, called Meridians in the game. To continue our example with the roll above, since the dice results gave me a 9 and 4, which sum to 13, the character gains a point of Momentum, which can either be banked or spent to roll two more dice, and if either of them come up as a success (9 or more), I add one more success. And if the two extra dice total 13 again, I gain another point of Momentum, and can repeat the process. The rules for using the Meridian abilities and Momentum work slightly differently, but the basic principle is similar. That's the basics of the mechanics. Very simple.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:10 pm