It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 pm

Games at Gen Con 2012 
Site Admin

Post Games at Gen Con 2012
Hi folks,

For the third year in a row, we ran games of Broken Rooms at Gen Con -- but this year they weren't play tests. The book was finished in the nick of time and when we last checked the Studio 2 Publishing booth, we had just about sold out of the limited print run we did for the show. Thanks to everyone who played. The tables were full and people seemed to enjoy the scenarios.

I'll recap the scenarios I ran.

I mostly ran the sample scenario from the book — Dreadful Mission — which is perfect for a con because the characters only have a certain amount of time to make it to a broken room. The broken room happens to cycle five minutes before the game is supposed to end, so we're sure to always finish the game. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who might play it, but players got to quickly see Earth8: Dread and Earth4: Invasion. No one died, but a few people did pass their second damage threshold.

The game exposed players to part of the Momentum Roleplaying System. People seemed to enjoy gaining and using Momentum in the game. They also had the chance to try some of the game's more powerful weapons.

I also ran First Fall, which this year was updated to get players right into the action. They follow an young Nearsider who just had her First Fall. But there's more to this Nearsider than meets the eye. She's opening up broken rooms but can't control how or when that happens. The players chase her to Earth3: The Fall and then to Earth7: Ice Box. They finally catch up with her, but then have to deal with Monarch, who is very interested in the girl.

I only ran First Fall once, but the players made great use of their Prime Meridians in and out of combat.

All the Broken Rooms games I ran had great players who really got into the games. One even had some first-time roleplayers, which was great to see.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:28 pm
Profile WWW