It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:19 pm

Homeschooling with Desolation 

Post Homeschooling with Desolation
I homeschool my 10 year old son, and every year I try to use an RPG as part of my program(I GM for him and some of his other homeschooled friends). I find it encourages practical (and fun) use of math and helps develop creativity. Last year we ran Green Ronin's Testament D20 game as we were studying the Ancient Near East. This year I'm going the fantasy route and running Desolation (although I will probably lighten up the tone a bit). The kids have been nagging me to do a Fantasy setting, but after DMing 3.5 D&D in my adult games for so many years I was horribly sick of Fantasy. I was quite excited to find Desolation and discover most of the typical Fantasy tropes turned on their heads...er - destroyed. I plan to have the kids write up the adventures from their characters' perspectives and reward them with style points. I'm hoping to get things going this week.

Bruce

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:05 pm

Post Re: Homeschooling with Desolation
I think table top gaming is a great way to fortify everyday abilities, as well as expand on imagination. Very cool project.

If you would like, I created a brief (4 page, a good amount of space for writing) background sheet. You'll probably have to edit out a few of the questions if you did use it - mainly the "back to reality" section. Also, it will depend on when you want to start your game on the timeline. As is; the document is set up for the morning after the Night of Fire. It's pretty simple, but I wanted to get my players thinking about basic things then expand.

This should take you to the document.
https://docs.google.com/document/edit?i ... y=CMX0nMsL

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:22 pm