It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:03 pm

"The Wall" 
Scavenger
Scavenger

Post "The Wall"
I ran a Desolation one shot adventure with four players and pregenerated characters today and here's the report. ;)

The characters were: The Noble Sorceress (in a male version), The Warlander Scout, The Gnome Finder and The Outcast Forester.

The group started travelling on a path to the mountains somewhere in the western part of what was once called the Empire. They were told by some villagers that in the mountains there should be a former imperial fort which once controlled a mountain pass leading to the Warlands. The fort shall be still standing and might hold some useful resources for the characters.
When they travelled through the wastelands they encountered an ever-burning forest. The sorcerer analyzed the phenomenon with his magic and found out that it might be caused by a strange struggle between the forces of nature and magical destruction (summoned by the Night of Fire). The forest (representing nature) seems to lose this fight but is still resisting with all power. Confused by this strange magical phenomenon and despite the mongrel's fear of fire the group decided to cross this forest. They feared to lose too much time if they tried to find another path to the mountain pass.
They actually made it through the forest but it took more time than the characters expected and so they had to strike camp as soon as they left the burning forest behind them. At night the watch keeping Warlander scout saw some strange vulture-like creatures which finally attacked the party. (I love Carrion Reapers! :twisted: ) The scout was wounded but the characters defeated the hungry Carrion Reapers and were glad to have some food for themselves.
At dawn the party started out and they continued their way to the mountains. They crossed a big river with the help of the sorcerer's magic (he created an "energy bridge" over the river) and finally reached the mountains. The path to the fort was badly damaged during the Night of Fire and therefore it was difficult for the characters to make their way through the mountains. But they found some shrine near the old path and marked stones so they were relatively sure to be on the right way to the imperial fort.
When they reached the fort it was a great surprise to see it in perfect condition. The walls had no single crack and the big watch towers stood tall against the sky like they used to do in the Before. When the characters tried to enter the fort through the open standing gate they were blocked by an invisible wall which seemed to shield the whole fort from the exterior. As far as the characters could see through the open gate the inside of the fort was also in perfect condition - as if the Night of Fire never took place.
When the sorcerer shouted a greeting to the inside, a man appeared at the hillside to their left. He introduced himself als Durus, officer of the 9th imperial legion and now leader of its survivors. He told the characters that a magical barricade - once created to defend the fort against Warland tribes - hinders everybody from getting inside the fort any more. He explained that he was outside the fort on patrol with his men when the Night of Fire broke out. Now there seems to be no way to the inside and the magical shield seems to have protected the fort from any damage - but there is no trace of its inhabitants. So the characters soon realized that something went wrong with this shield spell during the Night of Fire.

But for now I have to stop writing. I will add the remaining part another time - maybe tomorrow. ;)

Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:26 pm
Profile ICQ
Scavenger
Scavenger

Post Re: "The Wall"
Please do! I'm interested. :)

Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:07 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Great setup. Love to hear if and how they get inside.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:23 am
Profile WWW
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Gilgamesh,

That was fascinating stuff! Look forward to the next post about this scenario! :)

Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:41 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

I'm sorry, I totally forgot this one.
So here in brief how the adventure ended (I'm afraid I cannot remember every detail now):

The characters followed Durus to a nearby cave where the rest of his men had set up their camp after the Night of Fire. They decided to try to find a way into the fort and break the spell. The sorcerer was able to create a small hole in the magical barrier through which the characters managed to get in but afterwards they were trapped inside and the sorcerer knew that he was too weak to open the barricade again in the same way. Inside the fort, the characters soon realized that all what remained of its inhabitants was a strange, black dust on the ground and when they stayed inside for some time, they realized that they became weaker and weaker over time (suffering some N damage). So they knew that they had to break this magical barrier spell as soon as possible. They searched the buildings of the fort and finally found a room where the source of the spell seemed to be. It was an enchanted brick - maybe taken from the fort's wall - on which the spell lay and the chracters knew that they had to get it in order to find a way out of this place. The room was guarded by some golem-like constructs but the characters managed to disturb them by blowing some dust into the room, while the sorcerer used a telekinesis spell to move the enchanted brick out of the room. They closed and locked the door again before the brick's stony guards reached them.
Finally, with the spell's source in hands, the sorcerer could break it and as a result, the enchanted walls of the fort collapsed and there was a way out (and in) again. The legionnaires outside were glad to be able to get inside the fort again as there were still many useful resources inside. The characters chose to stay in the fort and help rebuilding it as a shelter for refugees from all over the Empire and the Warlands.

Since then I ran a couple of other sessions during which the fort established itself and grew into a new settlement with inhabitants from all over Scondera. Now the characters travelled to Cynosure in order to build up some trade relations.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:55 am
Profile ICQ