It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:20 pm

Gen Con 2009: Frontier Justice 
Site Admin

Post Gen Con 2009: Frontier Justice
This game allowed players to select one of six pre-made oruskan characters (2 orcs, 2 kobolds, 2 goblins). These characters were slightly tougher than normal in that the had 3 talents and were geared towards combat.

The players ended up selecting:
- kobold hunter with dual weapon skills and an arrogance flaw
- kobold ice spider primalist with a curiosity flaw
- goblin archer with the charitable flaw
- orc warrior with the overconfidence flaw
- orc blood rune mage with the vengeful (against humans) flaw
- NOT PLAYED: goblin merchant/rogue

The plotline was fairly straightforward - find the missing merchant and bring back the supplies for the chieftain of their unified tribe.

They headed south to the closest trading post and found it burned and littered with orc and goblin corpses - two of which were crucified on black twisted wood. As they investigated, they were attacked by a giant wood warp and his fire-breathing little brothers. The group managed to dispatch them with relative ease, although some blood rune magic healing was required for some. Clues were uncovered and suspicions formed about those responsible for the slaughter. Humans!

They continued south and came to a fork in the road. They eventually caught up some human merchants in the middle of the night. An arrow through the throat of the one guard was followed up by a pick-axe to the head of another who was sleeping (vengeful indeed). This left only a 10-year-old boy (whose father now had an arrow necktie) to give the group the necessary information to find the true culprits. But instead of releasing the boy after his help, the kobold hunter kept him as a "pet."

Back on the correct path, they suffered through some nasty traps and eventually found a small human settlement that was in the throes of a celebration. They were hailing the man who led the attack as a hero - a human who had in the past led legionnaires in their trips to cull the orc tribes. Some of the stealthier members (aided by both blood rune and primal magics), sneaked in and opened the main gate. The rest entered the village and the fight was on!

In the end, the group managed to defeat the ex-legionnaire/frontiersman, his wood-warp primalist mongrel companion and a host of villagers. The fight was fairly vicious, with most of the group badly wounded and the spider-primalist unconscious from Burn. Victorious, they took the wagons, claimed the village as their own, and marched home.

All in all, the group did a great job with the characters and I think they enjoyed being able to see the world from the Oruskan point of view and see humans as the villains. The spell casters were creative and the warriors used sound tactics in combat. The Blood Rune magicks turned out to be very versatile and useful, so it was nice to see that the new traditions from Survivors hold up.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Post Re: Gen Con 2009: Frontier Justice
Hullo, Matt,

Matt wrote:
This game allowed players to select one of six pre-made oruskan characters (2 orcs, 2 kobolds, 2 goblins). These characters were slightly tougher than normal in that the had 3 talents and were geared towards combat.

Well of course they were tougher, Matt! They're Oruskans!! :D

Matt wrote:
The players ended up selecting:
- kobold hunter with dual weapon skills and an arrogance flaw
- kobold ice spider primalist with a curiosity flaw
- goblin archer with the charitable flaw
- orc warrior with the overconfidence flaw
- orc blood rune mage with the vengeful (against humans) flaw
- NOT PLAYED: goblin merchant/rogue

Shame the goblin merchant/rogue wasn't played. I like that character a lot. I think that all of these player characters for the game are an interesting batch. Don't know enough about certain elements of their psych stuff yet, as I'm waiting on my copy of Survivors.

Matt wrote:
The plotline was fairly straightforward - find the missing merchant and bring back the supplies for the chieftain of their unified tribe.

They headed south to the closest trading post and found it burned and littered with orc and goblin corpses - two of which were crucified on black twisted wood. As they investigated, they were attacked by a giant wood warp and his fire-breathing little brothers. The group managed to dispatch them with relative ease, although some blood rune magic healing was required for some. Clues were uncovered and suspicions formed about those responsible for the slaughter. Humans!

Damn those cursed Humans!! :lol:

Matt wrote:
<snip, snip>
All in all, the group did a great job with the characters and I think they enjoyed being able to see the world from the Oruskan point of view and see humans as the villains. The spell casters were creative and the warriors used sound tactics in combat. The Blood Rune magicks turned out to be very versatile and useful, so it was nice to see that the new traditions from Survivors hold up.

Thanks for the great summary of the running of the game. Still sad that the second session of "Frontier Justice" didn't run, but c'est la vie. Any personal highlights from the scenario running that you can share? (Other than what you mention above, of course.)

Anyway, great work, Matt! (If I could give you the equivalent of a Rep point here, I would!)

Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:54 am