It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

Shared Campaign starting in Seoul 

Post Shared Campaign starting in Seoul
My good friend 18puppies and I are about to launch a shared Desolation Campaign splitting the Before and After between us.

The first session will be run by 18puppies on Sunday, which will be my first chance to play something in quite awhile. Being very fond of the setting and system, I am really looking forward to it.

Given that we will be playing with players new to both of us and to Ubiquity itself, and that with this pre and post Night of Fire approach, I expect that we will be getting more deeply into grey areas and questioning our interpretation of things than has been required previously.

I do hope that the wastes haven't claimed you all and that there will be some hardy souls about with whom we can discuss our plots, plans, and sudden rules questions.

;)

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Post Re: Shared Campaign starting in Seoul
Hullo, Runeslinger,

Runeslinger wrote:
My good friend 18puppies and I are about to launch a shared Desolation Campaign splitting the Before and After between us.

The first session will be run by 18puppies on Sunday, which will be my first chance to play something in quite awhile. Being very fond of the setting and system, I am really looking forward to it.

Given that we will be playing with players new to both of us and to Ubiquity itself, and that with this pre and post Night of Fire approach, I expect that we will be getting more deeply into grey areas and questioning our interpretation of things than has been required previously.

I do hope that the wastes haven't claimed you all and that there will be some hardy souls about with whom we can discuss our plots, plans, and sudden rules questions.

;)

I can't speak for any of the other folks around here, of course, but I am definitely looking forward to hearing about the campaign, and how it goes. Should be fascinating! :)

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:07 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

I'm sure with our combined effort we can scrape up enough brain cells to address any issues that you come across. ;)

I say, Bring it on! :D

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:28 am
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Nestor,

Nestor wrote:
I'm sure with our combined effort we can scrape up enough brain cells to address any issues that you come across. ;)

I say, Bring it on! :D

We have brain cells? Since when??? :)

But like you said, bring it on! :D

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:44 am

In Nestor and JohnK we trust... the Two Above~

Speaking of questions requiring brain cells, my partner in the destruction of the world posted a question about magic replicating talents. Do you fine gentlemen, or any others out there, have any thoughts about that?

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:22 am
Profile WWW

I hope to hear some more about that issue in the future. In fact, I am quite certain that I will be on this board a lot to discuss things magical. The other thing I am thinking about now is Magic Items in the Before. The intent here in our shared campaign, especially for the two others not really familiar with the setting (but used to High Fantasy), is to show them just how cool magic is, how easy it is to do things, how nifty all these magic items are...

... and then strip them all away and make them really feel the loss that came after the Night of Fire and the Long Winter.

I haven't run a campaign in probably 25 years.... Runeslinger brought me back into the fold of RPGs only a few years ago so this weekend is really going to be a challenge. Let's hope it works out!

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:47 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

A good rule of thumb for items for the Before is to look around you and think on how many of the conveniences we have today would be replicated with magic.

So a tradesman in the Before would have self-powered tools that would do most of the muscle-work needed, talk to other merchants through a hand-held farspeaker, deliver his products using a magic-powered horseless carriage, and refresh himself with a cold drink from the icebox containing a tame cold elemental inside.

Hope that helps.

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:10 pm

Excellent ideas thanks!

I was trying to explain it to my other players as "modern technology in the 3rd world" in that all the cool stuff is there: email, cellphones, etc. but not everyone can afford it.

I will incorporate those ideas and make a report later on how the first game session (in the Before) went.

Cheers!

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:42 am

We have had two introductory-style sessions so far, both ending in mysteries. As a result, I am even more enthusiastic about getting the campaign fully underway.... if it is possible for me to contain more enthusiasm. :wink:

I am very pleased to see just how much of the setting material that 18puppies has managed to absorb and implement given the relatively short lead time we gave ourselves, and now find myself scrambling to catch up on my in-game history. That is a nice sensation which I have missed!

For my part, I have started in on crafting some broken beasts and refining certain geographical elements and how thoroughly they will be destroyed/altered/relocated/ for my end of the campaign - starting with the skies and working my way down.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:55 am
Profile WWW

The campaign "The Road Less Taken" so far is up on Obsidian Portal. Please feel free to read at your leisure and I look forward to any comments more experienced GMs have about how things seem to have gone, what rules I may/did violate, and generally how jealous you all are of my good looks ;)

Thanks and be well
Kyrei/18Puppies

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:51 pm

I think the reports really captured the tone and highlights of the sessions~ Nice work!

Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:18 am
Profile WWW

Thanks man... I appreciate that. Although I of course realize my mistake there at the very end, no one has the Craft Magic Item skill, so there is no Ultimate Dragon Banner of Undead Repellant. Be that as it may, I am glad the story has been fun so far.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:53 pm