It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:14 pm

New Weapons/Armor 
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Post New Weapons/Armor
Just a quick placeholder for some new weapons and armor pieces that I'm whipping up. These will include some of the most elementary and longstanding weapons known to mankind, weapons likely still used by some primitive tribes in Scondera, as well as likely to be rediscovered in the After. Necessity is the mother of invention (or re-invention in this case), after all. Plus, these are easily crafted/improvised as well, making them even more suitable for the post-apocalyptic setting.

Atlatl
Buckler
Harpoon
Lasso
Morningstar
Rock, Held
Rock, Thrown
Scourge
Spiked/Clawed Gloves
Staff Sling
Throwing Club
Throwing Iron

cheers!
Colin

34 publications in the Talislanta, Iron Kingdoms, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Castles & Crusades, a|state, Faery's Tale, Hollow Earth Expedition, Hellas, Waste World, and Omni System lines, as well as a smattering of others.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:54 am
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Post Re: New Weapons/Armor
Hullo, Colin,

ColinChapman wrote:
Just a quick placeholder for some new weapons and armor pieces that I'm whipping up. These will include some of the most elementary and longstanding weapons known to mankind, weapons likely still used by some primitive tribes in Scondera, as well as likely to be rediscovered in the After. Necessity is the mother of invention (or re-invention in this case), after all. Plus, these are easily crafted/improvised as well, making them even more suitable for the post-apocalyptic setting.

Atlatl
Buckler
Harpoon
Lasso
Morningstar
Rock, Held
Rock, Thrown
Scourge
Spiked/Clawed Gloves
Staff Sling
Throwing Club
Throwing Iron

Good stuff, Colin. :) To be honest, I was kinda surprised that the atlatl and the rock was not included in the main rulebook (I know, I know, guys, lack of space and all that) and I can certainly see certain tribes using the scourge and the lasso. Look forward to seeing this stuff.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:20 am
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Thanks, mate. Nearly finished it all now, so I'll be posting it up tonight.

Colin

34 publications in the Talislanta, Iron Kingdoms, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Castles & Crusades, a|state, Faery's Tale, Hollow Earth Expedition, Hellas, Waste World, and Omni System lines, as well as a smattering of others.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:12 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Melee Weapons Dmg Str Dif Wt
Bottle*† 1N 1 1 1 lb.
Bottle, Broken† 0L 1 1 1 lb.
Pitchfork 2L 2 3 4 lb.
Rock, Held*† 0L 1 1 1 lb.
Scourge* 0L 1 4 1 lb.
Shovel 2N 2 3 5 lb.
Spiked/Clawed Glove*† 1L 1 4 1 lb.
Walking Stick † 1N 1 2 1 lb.
* See weapon description for special rules.
† Weapon can be wielded in one hand by Size –1 characters without penalty.
Weapons in italics must be wielded with two hands.

Bottle: Any handy but fragile vessel of glass or pottery can be used to strike a foe, such as a bottle or small jug. Such a device breaks after a single successful strike, becoming sharp and jagged. A bottle suffers no damage penalties due to being improvised.
Pitchfork: A common agricultural tool with four or five slightly sharp, curved metal tines at the end of its wooden shaft.
Rock: The most basic of weapons, the rock is any rough chunk of stone, broken brick, or glass which can be safely held in the hand and used to strike with. A rock may also be thrown (see Ranged Weapons). A rock suffers no damage penalties due to being improvised.
Scourge: A tool of punishment and slavery, the scourge is a short wooden handle from which three to nine short, knotted leather thongs hang. A vicious whip, it can flay skin and flesh with repeated strikes. To entangle an opponent, make a Melee touch attack. If your character’s attack is successful, no damage is done. Instead, compare the amount of damage your character would have done vs. an opponent’s Strength rating. If you rolled more damage than his or her Strength rating, the opponent is entangled and must succeed in a Strength roll to break free on the next turn. If you rolled more damage than twice your opponent’s Strength rating, he or she is entangled and may be either disarmed or knocked down. An improvised scourge suffers no damage penalties due to being improvised.
Shovel: Made of sturdy wood with a flat wooden digging head reinforced with an iron edge, the shovel is a useful tool. An improvised shovel suffers no damage penalties due to being improvised.
Spiked/Clawed Gloves: A weapon of savages and pit fighters, this brutal implement is a tough leather glove or gauntlet studded with metal spikes, animal teeth, or flakes of obsidian. Attacks with this weapon use the character’s Brawl rating instead of Melee. An improvised spiked/clawed glove suffers no damage penalties due to being improvised.
Walking Stick: A rugged wooden baton, sometimes carved, and frequently reinforced with a metal tip or knob, the walking stick also makes a good impromptu bludgeon. An improvised walking stick suffers no damage penalties due to being improvised.

Ranged Weapons Dmg Str Rng Rate Dif Wt
Atlatl (used with dart) 2L 1 50 ft. 1** 3 1 lb.
Lasso* - 1 25 ft. 1 3 2 lb.
Rock, Thrown † 0N 1 25 ft. 1 1 1 lb.
Slingstaff 1N 1 75 ft. 1 3 2.5 lb.
Throwing Club 2N 1 25 ft. 1 3 1 lb.
Throwing Iron* 3L 2 10 ft. 1 4 3 lb.
* See weapon description for special rules.
** Characters with the Instant Reload Talent double this weapon's rate of fire
† Weapon can be wielded in one hand by Size –1 characters without penalty.
Weapons in italics must be wielded with two hands.

Atlatl: A sturdy wooden shaft, around 2-feet long, notched and grooved to hold a dart. When used to throw, it significantly improves the power and range of the dart, though it prevents the use of two darts at once.
Lasso: Common only among some of the equestrian tribes of the Warlands, the lasso is a tough rope of woven horsehair, 36-feet in length, expertly tied. To entangle an opponent, make an Archery touch attack. If your character’s attack is successful, no damage is done. Instead, compare the amount of damage your character would have done vs. an opponent’s Strength rating. If you rolled more damage than his or her Strength rating, the opponent is entangled and must succeed in a Strength roll to break free on the next turn. If you rolled more damage than twice your opponent’s Strength rating, he or she is entangled and may be either disarmed or knocked down.
Slingstaff: This simple weapon affixes a sling to the top of a short wooden stave, adding range to attacks made with the former component. An improvised slingstaff suffers no damage penalties due to being improvised.
Throwing Club: Balanced for accurate use, the throwing club is hurled with an underhand or sideways motion, impacting targets with some force. It is especially common among Island Folk who use it to hunt small game.
Throwing Iron: A rare weapon used only by a few Warlands tribes, the throwing iron is a short wooden handle fitted with a branch-like array of metal blades. Made of iron or any other suitable metal scavenged and hammered flat, it can also be wielded in melee as a hand axe (Damage 2L).

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:44 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Colin,

ColinChapman wrote:
Melee Weapons Dmg Str Dif Wt
Bottle*† 1N 1 1 1 lb.
Bottle, Broken† 0L 1 1 1 lb.
Pitchfork 2L 2 3 4 lb.
Rock, Held*† 0L 1 1 1 lb.
Scourge* 0L 1 4 1 lb.
Shovel 2N 2 3 5 lb.
Spiked/Clawed Glove*† 1L 1 4 1 lb.
Walking Stick † 1N 1 2 1 lb.

<stuff snipped>

Brilliant stuff, as usual, Colin. :) What more needs to be said? (And even if it did, I'm not in any condition to say anything given the sinus cold I'm trying to get over and all.)

Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:42 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Okay, I've done a formatted pdf of the Basic Equipment and new Weapons, so if anyone wants a copy, PM me.

cheers!
Colin

Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:39 pm

A bit off-topic, but... are you the same Colin Chapman who did some work for Talislanta 4th Ed.?

If so, that gives you a kabillion Awesome points in my book.

- H.P. Lovecraft

Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:57 pm
Profile WWW
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Guilty as charged; check out my sig. :) And thanks for the kind words; I'd happily accept any and all awesome points donated.

cheers!
Colin

Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:24 pm

ColinChapman wrote:
Guilty as charged; check out my sig. :) And thanks for the kind words; I'd happily accept any and all awesome points donated.

cheers!
Colin

Oops. After witnessing a million lame/in-joke ridden sigs, I tend to just ignore them altogether. Here was me doing all this research as to where I'd heard the name before...

Sheesh.

- H.P. Lovecraft

Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Just in case I never mentioned it - nice job Collin. Thanks!

Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:42 pm
Profile WWW

Code:
name                               Def  Str Dex Diff    Weight
Lamellar                            +3  2   -1   3      20lbs
Scale*                              +2  2   -1   3      25lbs
Breastplate, chest only*            +2  1   -0   3      10lbs
Helmet, open face                   +1  1   --   2       5lbs
Helmet, closed                      +2  1   -1   4       7lbs

The table has all the armors in the rulebook omitted.

Breastplate that only covers the front may be also made in lamellar or scale type with similar specifications, but the propability of finding one is lower.

Fixing a scale armour can be done in about half an hour without smithing skills once out of combat, assuming the character has extra scales or something usable for scales. Fixing a lamellar armour takes half a day of work but can be done by the character without smithing skills. Lamellar has a higher requirement for replacement lamels, as they need to fit exactly rather than just overlap.

A helmet that protects the face also limits visibility. A character using closed helmet is at -1 for all defence and attack rolls.

Feedback welcome.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:12 pm

Anyone else notice that although the artwork and terminology for the empire and "legions" was Roman derived (at least the soldier stuff), and they even had segmented armor "lorica segmantata" on the armor page, it wasn't mentioned in the armor table. I don't know that it would be substantially different than plate, but might offer more protection at the cost of extra weight (the distance artwork got it right, but the closeups on the armor page don't show that it was overlapping plates). It also ads a degree of torso flexibility not seen with a full breastplate.

Segmented Plate: Def +4 Str 3 Dex -1 Diff 6 Wt 30

That's kind an off the cuff idea, based on the area of coverage being greater than a breastplate, but the added flexibility due to the overlapping plates (lower dex penalty). The strength requirement might be lower, due to reduced weight compared to Full Plate, but I'm not trying to create Super Armor here, just get some ideas on something I think should be included in my game. As far as the difficulty in finding it..I guess it depends on location and proximity to Legionary forces, or former bases/outposts etc.

Any further ideas (like I'm putting too much into this..)

Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:36 pm