It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:50 am

Map Idea 

Post Map Idea
So I was thinking about the map issue and about some of the complaints about the lack of a map for the world and I think I figured out how to fix the problem in a couple of unique ways.

Firstly, have a map of the before made up for the various map programs that can be edited by the GM as he/she sees fit. The file thus serves as a template upon which to work.

The other thought that occured to me concerning this, which would be really cool, would be to have a self contained program that has "god tools" that the GM just picks a type of effect and after placing the cursor on the map and pressing the button it does random effects. Then just make the program available with the ability to print any results just like above but it is all self contained and no extra software would be needed. Features could be flooding, glaciers, tornados, earthquakes (three options, one that breaks the ground, another raises it, and the last lowers it), and such. Heck some bored fan could even design it. :wink: But not me as I don't know anything about programing.

Well that's my thoughts. What does everyone else think of them?

"This is Sky Captain. I'm on my way." - Joe "Sky Captain" Sullivan

Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:18 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Map Idea
Cool ideas.

We had a similar idea to use software/an online generator to make Weave-touched and Broken beasts out of mundane animals. But, alas, we know of no one who can program that sort of thing. If anyone out there with the skills is interested in doing it, shoot me a PM.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:32 am
Profile WWW

That would have to be some amount of free time for that fan...

I would either just make a really detailed jpg and fans can import it into their favorite editor or make it an autorealm map.

The monster builder on the other hand is totally doable. Math crunching utilities are fairly easy to write if you have the formulas in hand.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:21 pm

As with anyone, I think that is great idea. Unfortunately, I don't know coding. For the time being, I'm using a program called Fractal Mapper. Just use the poly fractal tool and set the intensity if the fractal (higher is more exaggerated), then draw out the general shape of the Before map and adjust. Not ideal, but it gets the job done for now. It's actually a pretty neat program, just too bad some of the images used are a little cartoonish.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:10 pm

Just following up on the Fractal Mapper thing. This is the map I built with it...

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B66gUK ... Y2M0&hl=en

Afterwords, I decided...

*South end of Saiken Wastes has gone under the sea, forest sprung in the middle of desert.
*South Edge of Empire Territory has raised, possibly leading to new continent.
*Large lake formerly in the center of Empire is now filled with Lava, rivers continue to flow into it causing dense fog. Impossible to navigate. A new Empire rising in the south, assuming the old Empire has been torn apart. Remains of the Old empire on the northern end of it's former boundries.
*NW corner of Oruskan Wilds has sunken in a whirlpool. Rapid waters flowing around the islands, pulling everything into the whirlpool in the center of the islands. A desert on the Northern border, slightly east. Magically dead zone just south of it. - Undead rather...
*Much of the Primea Mountains has fallen, leaving vast passes.
*Obsidian fields between Saiken Wastes and Warlands.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:28 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

Some very interesting ideas, Scrumptrilescent. Thanks for posting!

Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:12 am
Profile ICQ

I didn't plan for a lot of that to happen, I just randomised the coasts and looked at the previous formation and developed from there. I knew I wanted the mountains to fall and planned on using the communities Fair Trade and Groundswell, as well as a few others.

Glad I could share.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:26 pm