It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:18 am

Random Generators 

Post Random Generators
Hey, I just bought the game about a month ago and I'm fascinated. I'm wanting to run a Sandbox style game with two or three smaller groups all playing in the same world, potentially running into each other. While I have some communities and characters in mind, I'd like to get ahold of something that will help me create the bulk of the world.

I've started working on a word generator for communities, with a lot of die rolling, but if there is anything out there to make life a little easier it would be appreciated. Also working on a random encounter project, but that is a LONG way off. Especially when you've never tried to do anything of this sort before.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:00 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Random Generators
Glad you're enjoying the game.

At the risk of sounding like a commercial, have you picked up the Survivors supplement yet? It has additional communities to add to the ones in the core book. It also has a lot of NPCs that can be dropped into the sandbox.

Thu May 06, 2010 5:15 pm
Profile WWW

I sure have. Bought it a few weeks ago, and will probably use most of the communities in that. I took the permission to create my own world, from the core book, to heart, however. Started to piece together a map using fractal mapper, close to the image of Scondera - but not too close.

I'm almost done with my word generator. It's nothing special, it only helps with the generation of the "statistical" values. Then you'd have to develop Background, Traditions, Geography, and Needs and Resources based on the randomly generated stuff. Even throw your own little twist in, if the mood strikes you. It's just to get wheels turnin'.

I get stuck in ruts, and if I were to just develop communities without a guideline - they would all be Primalists worshipping turtles, goats, and chinchillas for example. This forces me to build pilgrimages, former Legion communities, trade cities... etc...

The vast majority of the variables are based on sample communities in the Core Book and Survivors. I had to cut out a few in most categories, to try to cut down the die rolls. The document is very "user friendly,' I explained each trait, as I saw it, for each category, but also left it vague. Yet another reason to cut a few traits.

Not a be all, end all. Just another tool.

Fri May 07, 2010 1:26 am

On a side note, I really liked the generic NPC's in the back of the book. Very helpful.

Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

I suffered from a server crash but I'm going to get back on track with the random weave-touched/broken creature generator...

Tue May 18, 2010 4:26 pm
Profile WWW

Very cool. I'm excited to see it.

Tue May 18, 2010 11:29 pm

Found something the other day that could be useful for some names and things.
http://donjon.bin.sh/name/

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:55 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Scrump,

Scrumptrilescent wrote:
Found something the other day that could be useful for some names and things.
http://donjon.bin.sh/name/

Thanks for finding this one, mate, that will definitely have some applications and uses for [i}Desolation[/i], among other rpgs. :)

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:40 am

That one is fantastic. I've been wanting a full map of the After for a PC that wants to map it out and the fractal map generator that site has fits the bill nicely. The town names and festivals are especially good for running games in the Before if you want to do that, and they provide a good reference in the After in more civilized places that are still attempting to live like nothing has changed.

"We are celebrating The Feast of Bells this day, join us, celebrate!" says the town mayor to the new arrivals to town as the Oruskan raiding party crouches on the top of the hill close by, waiting for the festivities to start.

It always gives good names for weapons and characters so it becomes much easier to make magical artifacts and name NPCs. Thanks for the tool, I'll be using this one quite a bit.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:04 pm
Profile WWW

Glad to help 8}

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:14 pm

Imajica wrote:
I suffered from a server crash but I'm going to get back on track with the random weave-touched/broken creature generator...

Any luck getting that generator back up?

Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:16 pm

The Grand Plan is to get it up and running properly (well, ready for testing, anyway) by the end of next week. I have a list of excuses prepared in case I miss that ;-)

Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:26 pm
Profile WWW

Excuse #207. The dog ate my server. Well, I was running a little Rasperry Pi thing in the corner of the room and apparently the hard drive looked tasty.

This week. You shall have your generator, or at least as far as I've got with it, this week. Look for a post on Wednesday.

Sun May 20, 2012 4:21 pm
Profile WWW

http://sandbox.filesandrecords.com/broken_01.php

Okay, so it's Thursday. Please take a look and see what you think. It isn't perfect, nor does it do quite everything yet - it's missing the nutrition information, for one - so there's still work for the GM to do once the creature is generated. It should provide enough inspiration for you to be going on with, though.

Next steps...

* Saving created creatures into a database for future reference if you get something good.
* Adding notes to said creatures.
* Integration with the Ubiquipedia (another work in progress).

Thu May 24, 2012 6:01 am
Profile WWW

Very cool, I played around with it for a bit and it left a few images with me. Very much appreciated, I plan on spending some alone time with this one in the near future. Get to know her a little better.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:20 am