It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:05 pm

Foreign Continent 

Post Foreign Continent
It occurred to me the other day, while running one of my games, that the players do not know where they are. While that seems obvious, it also led me to a train of thought that came to the conclusion that they do not even have to be on the same continent. Not a unique thought, I'm sure, but I wanted to bounce a few ideas, hopefully liven the boards up again a little.

So as far as I've come with my somewhat half-hearted plan, due to moving into a new house and other responsibilities, is coming up with a few generic ideas for some races to include on this continent. A few of the concepts have been borrowed from my D&D 3.0 Monster Manuals, and I haven't come up with fitting names for them yet. As I said before, these are just concepts I'm toying with. Have not chosen a common language for the continent yet.

Hobgoblin (would like a better name, but this is essentially the appearance I want them to have.)
Size: 0
Concept: Somewhat like the Empire in beliefs. Can not use magic, but have developed a steam punk fashion sense and technology - no computers, just gadgets, golems and things. (19th century Britain)
Languages: Common

Mouslings (Based on an RPG I've heard of based on mouse heroes.)
Size: -1
Stealthy: +2 to stealth rolls when hiding
Concept: Typically valliant race, knightly if you will. (Western European influence - France/Spain)
Languages: Common, Mousling

Cervidal (Satyrs basically, just didn't want to call them Satyrs. They are called Cervidal in the MM)
Size: 0
Ram: +1N Brawl attacks when headbutting
Billy Goat: +2 move speed while Climbing due to mountainous homeland
Wildborne: As flaw
Iron Guy: Can eat nearly anything
Languages: Tauric

Minotaur (My favorite creature... Had to...)
Size: +1
Gore: Can use horns at +1L Brawl
Herbivore: Can only consume plant matter
Strong Back: Weight limits equal to 1 point higher than base Strength value
Nomadic: Migrates with Seasons
Concept: As traditional Minotaur. Very in tune with nature, along the lines of Goblins or Elves. (Norther Native American influence)

Centaur (Half horse/half human... You know the gig.)
Size: +1
Fleet of Foot: +2 to movement speed in areas with minimal obstacles. IE Open plains.
Clumsy: -1 max Dexterity. It's hard to turn a big body around.
Susceptible: Easily effected by alcohol, -1 to saves when regarding substance.
Ethnocentric: -2 in all social situations with other races, +2 to all social situations with own race.
Concept: As traditional Centaur. Barbaric, Cocky race, but nearing extinction due to substance abuse. Between poisoning and other affects of the alcohol, they are making things hard on themselves.

Lizarmen (Come in a variety of shapes and sizes, my second favorite creatures, )
Chose Size: -1/0/+1
Amphibious: Can breathe both air and water
Scaled: +1 Passive Defense
Waterborn: Must consume twice as much water as other races while on land.
Webbed Feet: +2 move while swimming
Cod blooded: tolerance for cold weather is much lower. Chose heating system (solar panels, Sun bathing, etc... still working on it)
Concept: Many different tribes lurking the swamps, jungles, and coast lines; each with it's own beliefs, personalities, and even physical make up. (Aztec/Maya/Inca influence)
Languages: Lizardmen

Again, these are just the bare bones I've come up with in my spare time. No deep culture yet, not even sure I'm satisfied with some of the details given - and many more need to be added (such as magic traditions). Will work on developing a map when I have time as well.

Any thoughts?

Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:05 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

Post Re: Foreign Continent
One of the elements that I find appealing about Desolation is how it takes the traditional fantasy RPG races and twists them just so. Elves are pariahs, dwarves are defenders against a Chtonian evil, halflings are Pacific Islanders. kobolds are Eskimo seals, etc.

I would recommend as you go through these potential races that you find some hook or aspect to skew their concepts, like your idea of having Hobgoblins possess steampunk-ish technology.

Maybe centaurs are actually a nuisance, going about tearing through crops like locusts and stampeding through towns. Or perhaps Lizardmen have a deep empathic racial link, which precludes their need for a language and makes their behavior inscrutable to other races.

Just my $.02 worth...

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:32 am

Right on, I like it. Thanks for the advice.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:11 am

I think I would like to give Lizardmen (maybe others) the magic tradition: Mystic.

It would consist of some limited vision abilities of the Gnomes and hexes and boons of the Animists. Possibly some illusion abilities as per the Rovers, and less likely some environment control of the Primalists...

Characters of this tradition would be revered much like Primalists in some of the other cultures.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:12 pm