It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:31 am

Character: Fergus Half-Hand 
Scavenger
Scavenger

Post Character: Fergus Half-Hand
This is a character concept I came up with many moons ago for a game that never got off the ground. I realized he'd fit in very nicely in Desolation, so, well, here he is...

Fergus Half-hand

Edit: Updated link due to new file-hosting site

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Last edited by Nestor on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:59 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Post Re: Character: Fergus Half-Hand
Nestor wrote:
This is a character concept I came up with many moons ago for a game that never got off the ground. I realized he'd fit in very nicely in Desolation, so, well, here he is...

Fergus.pdf

I like the character concept and the approach that you took to him very much, Nestor, and he looks to be pretty skilled and competent in what he does. Just one question... did you mean to give him Craft: Bowyer or Craft: Fletcher in the sklills section? :)

Oh, and how did you PDF this up, and what font is that for the "My Story" and "Personality" sections?

Well done! :)

Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:56 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

I got the impression from the Craft skill description in the book (pg. 79) that Bowyer / Fletching was considered one discipline. The idea is that Fergus knows how to make and repair his own bows and arrows.

There are a number of freeware PDF converters out there. In my case, I use PDF995 for most of my at-home projects.

I'll have to look back to my machine as to what font I used for that text. I know I get all my fonts from the blambot and dafont sites, so I know it's a free font.

Thanks. If I ever end up playing in a Desolation game, I'll likely bring Fergus to the table. He's kinda grown on me. :wink:

Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:52 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Nestor,

Nestor wrote:
I got the impression from the Craft skill description in the book (pg. 79) that Bowyer / Fletching was considered one discipline. The idea is that Fergus knows how to make and repair his own bows and arrows.

Just checked the DESOLATION book, and you're absolutely right about the Bowyer/Fletching thing under the Craft skill. My apologies, mate. :)

Nestor wrote:
There are a number of freeware PDF converters out there. In my case, I use PDF995 for most of my at-home projects.

I'll have to look back to my machine as to what font I used for that text. I know I get all my fonts from the blambot and dafont sites, so I know it's a free font.

I am actually looking for a means of doing up a free PDF converter and the like for Linux (preferably at the moment for Ubuntu), but haven't found one yet that I really like. The software you mentioned, unfortunately, is only for Windows and the Macs and all. *sigh*

Nestor wrote:
Thanks. If I ever end up playing in a Desolation game, I'll likely bring Fergus to the table. He's kinda grown on me. :wink:

Yeah, I rather like him, too. :) If I ever manage to recover all the material off my old laptop drive, I'll want to put the character up on my DESOLATION website and all.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:05 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

Oh, and since you asked, the font I used for the headers (and for the quote) is "Chronicles of a Hero" a design font available from Blambot.

Hope that helps! :)

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:35 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Nestor,

Nestor wrote:
Oh, and since you asked, the font I used for the headers (and for the quote) is "Chronicles of a Hero" a design font available from Blambot.

Hope that helps! :)

It does, indeed! Thanks, mate! :)

Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:28 pm
Site Admin

Very nice... we were looking forward to some character made from outside the Empire.

We really liked the character background. Heh... munged up... :)

Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Interestingly enough, it's the area outside the Empire that interests me the most. I've been pondering what sort of characters I can come up with from places like the Saikin Wastes (Bedouin goblins!), The Warlands, or the northern wilderness (Viking orcs!). :wink:

Heh. About "munged," I wanted to use an expletive without using one, and that one popped up in my head. I'm thinking of stealing "fong" from Alan Tudyk's character in A Knight's Tale.

"Uh, betray us, and I will fong you, until your insides are out, your outsides are in, your entrails will become your extrails I will w-rip... all the p... ung. Pain, lots of pain."

:D

Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:59 pm

HI there Nestor

Really like the character too

Do you think we could threaten JohnK with a good Fonging if he doesn't set up an online game for our characters?

Jamat

Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:08 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

jamat1066 wrote:
HI there Nestor

Really like the character too

Do you think we could threaten JohnK with a good Fonging if he doesn't set up an online game for our characters?

Jamat

:lol:

Dunno. I'd hate to take him away from his busy schedule of world domination. :wink:

Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:46 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Jamat,

jamat1066 wrote:

I don't know what a good fonging is, but you likely wouldn't have to twist my arm too hard to convince me to run an on-line game of DESOLATION. I suspect a couple of other folks could be convinced to play in this as well. :)

Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:11 am
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Nestor,

Nestor wrote:
jamat1066 wrote:
HI there Nestor

Jamat

:lol:

Dunno. I'd hate to take him away from his busy schedule of world domination. :wink:

Oh, errr...what plan for world domination would this be? :wink: I've been too busy doing write-ups of my GenCon trip from the journal notes I took the whole time I was away. You could probably convince me to run an on-line game of DESOLATION. If we had a few more people who wanted to play... :)

Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:15 am
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hello fellow Desolation fans,

It's been a long time since I posted here and I regret the absence. My group did some playtesting last year and I ran the adventure in the book at Con on the Cob last year. I had a blast running the game and meeting the Greymalkin crew.

Unfortunately several events came together and our group didn't continue with playtesting and I fell away from gaming in general for awhile. Again much to my regret. Also, my apologies to Jamie, Matt, and Stephen for falling out of touch.

On a more positive note, I recently obtained my copy of the book from my friend who went to Gen Con and I was blown away, by far one of the best rpgs I've ever seen put out. So much richness and so many ways to go with it. I've enjoyed reading the book, catching back up on the forum, and listening to The Games the Thing podcast interview. Plus I joined the yahoo group JohnK created too (and started a player database there).

That's when I came across this thread. First off, great concept. Well done on the background and the half hand idea is great, very distinctive. Second, I actually posted over on rpol.net a day or two ago looking for a potential online game. If you are looking for players to reach critical mass to start an online game, I would gladly throw my hat in the ring to join up.

Looking forward to talking more about Desolation with all of you in the near future and hopefully creating a great story too...

Best regards,
Dennis

Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:29 am
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Dennis,

rudedd wrote:

It's been a long time since I posted here and I regret the absence. My group did some playtesting last year and I ran the adventure in the book at Con on the Cob last year. I had a blast running the game and meeting the Greymalkin crew.

Unfortunately several events came together and our group didn't continue with playtesting and I fell away from gaming in general for awhile. Again much to my regret. Also, my apologies to Jamie, Matt, and Stephen for falling out of touch.

Glad to see that you're back among us, my friend. I understand the falling away from gaming for periods of time, as Real Life (tm) does tend to get in the way at times. Such is life, but but good to see you back. :)

rudedd wrote:
On a more positive note, I recently obtained my copy of the book from my friend who went to Gen Con and I was blown away, by far one of the best rpgs I've ever seen put out. So much richness and so many ways to go with it. I've enjoyed reading the book, catching back up on the forum, and listening to The Games the Thing podcast interview. Plus I joined the yahoo group JohnK created too (and started a player database there).

Yeah, there hasn't been a whole lot of traffic on the Yahoo DESOLATION mailing list yet, but I didn't expect there to be. It's meant as an alternative to these forums and all, and is something that I set up as a means of discussing the game that was more off-line oriented and all. We'll see what happens with that list and all, anyway...

Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:47 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

rudedd wrote:

That's when I came across this thread. First off, great concept. Well done on the background and the half hand idea is great, very distinctive. Second, I actually posted over on rpol.net a day or two ago looking for a potential online game. If you are looking for players to reach critical mass to start an online game, I would gladly throw my hat in the ring to join up.

Thanks! :)

Fergus was a character concept that'd been sitting in my head for along while; I'm just glad he's found a home. :wink:

I'm actually in two games (neither of them Desolation) in RPoL, and tracked down your request there. If someone does take up the gauntlet (not me, though, not enough free time), I'd be glad to jump in, too. :)

Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:17 am