It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:46 am

Favorite Characters 
Site Admin

Post Favorite Characters
So far, one of my favorite characters, apart from the Signature Characters in the book, has been "Forrester Gump." Gump is a mongrel forester with an Intelligence of 1, and that's being generous. He made his living in the Before as a shepherd for a small town. The townsfolk let his mother stay in town, but Gump was far too hideous. He slept on the outskirts with the sheep. Still, he had a naively positive attitude -- as long as no one said anything bad about his mama.

Favorite moment: A necromancer in the party animated a skeleton in hopes of sending it down a hallway he was sure was trapped. Gump saw the skeleton rise up beside his friend, the necromancer, and immediately destroyed it.

Last edited by Jamie on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I remember that poor character well. There was a beautiful simplicity to having an Int of 1, wasn't there?

Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:55 am
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Post Re: Favorite Characters
Hullo, Jamie,

Jamie wrote:
So far, one of my favorite characters, apart from the Signature Characters in the book, has been "Forrester Gump." Gump is a mongrel forester with an Intelligence of 1, and that's being generous. He made his living in the Before as a shepherd for a small town. The townsfolk let his mother stay in town, but Gump was far too hideous. He slept on the outskirts with the sheep. Still, he had a naively positive attitude -- as long as no one said anything bad about his mama.

Favorite moment: A necromancer in the party animated a skeleton in hopes of sending it down a hallway he was sure was trapped. Gump saw the skeleton rise up beside his friend the necromancer, and immediately destroyed it.

LOL!! I love stuff like this, mate! :)

Any chance that you might want to use the section of the forums to actually post up the stats of said character? That way folks can do that as well when they post up their favourite characters.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:50 pm
Site Admin

Good idea. I'll search him out of the mounds of playtest materials still littering my desk.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Jamie wrote:
Good idea. I'll search him out of the mounds of playtest materials still littering my desk.

Excellent, look forward to seeing him. :)

I've got a couple of characters that I will be posting at some point, but need to find out some stuff about the character generation rules and additions before then.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:13 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

Jamie wrote:

Favorite moment: A necromancer in the party animated a skeleton in hopes of sending it down a hallway he was sure was trapped. Gump saw the skeleton rise up beside his friend, the necromancer, and immediately destroyed it.

Oh! I love this story!

:)

Was this in a face to face game?

(catching up...and dredging up really old posts)

Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:31 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

It was face-to-face. Matt was playing the necro, so it was that much more fun to crush his creation after he took Burn to make it. I gotta find that character and post him here.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Jamie wrote:
It was face-to-face. Matt was playing the necro, so it was that much more fun to crush his creation after he took Burn to make it. I gotta find that character and post him here.

I love him SO much more now that he foiled Matt's necromancer. *grin* *kidding!*

Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:59 pm
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

That is indeed a great story and if the board had Rep points, I'd give you one.

Those are the kind of characters I like creating and playing: ones that have a quirk or hook that makes them distinctive and memorable.

And using pun names is always a bonus! :D

"Forrester Gump." <giggle> <snort> :lol:

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:08 am
Site Admin

Jamie's poor character... his eventual end was pretty tragic as well... I think it would be worth sharing here, if Jamie can be persuaded...

Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:49 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

Stephen wrote:
Jamie's poor character... his eventual end was pretty tragic as well... I think it would be worth sharing here, if Jamie can be persuaded...

Don't make me pout, Jamie...that never ends well. 8)

Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:31 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Well ... my memory's a bit fuzzy, but it's something like this. We were playtesting a before and during the Night of Fire scenario. Gump had joined a caravan that was heading to town. His responsibility was to take care of the village's sheep along the caravan route until they got to town where someone else (who was not hideous looking) would sell them. All went well until the ground started to shake and the sky fell.

At one point, I recall Gump fetching one of his beloved sheep for the necromancer who was going to use it to heal an injured NPC. He promised he wouldn't hurt it. He lied. But, the necro killed the sheep to transfer its life energy to the injured person, so Gump could kind of understand that. But, he didn't like it. The necromancer scared him.

As he rushed around in the chaos of the collapsing town, looking for people to save, he realized his sheep were also in danger. It was his job to take care of the sheep. Gump rushed to the pens on the outskirts of town. But, he couldn't avoid a jagged rock that thrust up from the ground directly below him. It impaled poor Gump, whose last words were "I'm sorry, Mama."

But, some of the sheep did survive ;)

Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Awww.... Can I keep him? :)

Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:18 pm
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

Heck, I'm going to make him an urban legend in my campaign (if I ever get one going, that is)

Everywhere they PCs go, they'll hear stories about Forrester Gump. How he saved some kid from dying out in the woods, how he met with the local chieftains, how he fought a warband and made them retreat. I figure by the time I'm done, they'll think Forrester is a combination of Hercules and Johnny Appleseed. Then they'll meet him... :twisted:

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:48 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

Nestor wrote:
Heck, I'm going to make him an urban legend in my campaign (if I ever get one going, that is)

Everywhere they PCs go, they'll hear stories about Forrester Gump. How he saved some kid from dying out in the woods, how he met with the local chieftains, how he fought a warband and made them retreat. I figure by the time I'm done, they'll think Forrester is a combination of Hercules and Johnny Appleseed. Then they'll meet him... :twisted:

ROFL!

Ha! Love it!

Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:44 am
Profile YIM