It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:52 am

Ubiquity Online 
Scavenger
Scavenger

Post Ubiquity Online
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle the style chips in an online/text based game ran using the Ubiquity system?

I mean...there's the obvious score card... but that seems clumsy.

I run my text based games on a pretty dynamic site that would allow me to add a module of some sort, to handle this if there was such a thing available. :) ...like a little chip tally or something? (I like pretty things)

So, any advice or ideas on how to integrate style chips into online game play? It would be especially cool if players or GMs could award them.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:18 am
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

Post Re: Ubiquity Online
Well, some board systems offer a point-award system, usually referred to as Reputation or Rep. If you could implement something like that, it would provide a way to track Style points on a player-by-player bassis.

Just my $.02.

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:50 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

Nestor wrote:
Well, some board systems offer a point-award system, usually referred to as Reputation or Rep. If you could implement something like that, it would provide a way to track Style points on a player-by-player bassis.

Just my $.02.

That is an excellent idea...

Tell me this. How is that debited? The Rep points? I mean, can they go both up and down?

By any chance could you point me to a site that uses this? I was in a writing community that used a system like this once upon a time, but damn if I can remember the website.

Thanks muchly for chiming in! I really appreciate it.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:56 am
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

No worries. Glad to be of service. :)

I don't know if the concept has been used for online gaming, but if you want an example of a forum using Rep, you can take a look at Exile Game Studio's own forums.

It does not allow you to debit Rep, but it looks like that's more of a configuration issue, at least from the looks of the interface.

The process is simple: you click on the '+/-' button next to or underneath the stars for the person you want to give Rep to. The interface certainly makes it look like you can lower as well as increase someone's Rep, though the feature is obviously not enabled.

Again, I have not seen the Rep system used in an online gaming setting, but if you're running your own server, I suppose you can set it up whichever way you want.

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:09 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

It's not shiny and pretty, but I think it could be functional, which is technically all I need.

If I have another bright idea, I'll post it for thoughts. I found a couple of Drupal modules that might work and have the 'smarty' peeps looking at them to see if they actually have any potential.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:34 pm
Profile YIM

An old thread, but just found Desolation and I am currently in the process of figuring out which VTT software to use. At this point I'm strongly leaning towards maptool (http://www.rptools.net/) largely due to it being free :oops:

With that tool I believe you can add style points to the token directly...

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:25 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

Does VTT stand for Virtual Table Top?

Is that live type game play with chat and some sort of online software, like openRPG?

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:50 pm
Profile YIM

Chairman wrote:
Does VTT stand for Virtual Table Top?

Is that live type game play with chat and some sort of online software, like openRPG?

Yes, it is VERY cool, very easy to use, and ... FREE!

http://www.rptools.net/

I have used it a few times and it seems to work well for chat and live, interactive mapping and playing.

Oh, and it's ... FREE!

- Carl

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:53 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

Gotta love free! :)

I've never used any VTT, my schedule isn't all that conducive to that style of play. ...but I can see where it could be really fun!

Thanks for the recommendations. It might be neat to use something like this in addition to a text game, if you could get everyone together, for just a couple of hours to resolve a combat or some such.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:06 am
Profile YIM

One of the nice things is this can be used just as a 'chat room', with handy dice macros. I much prefer in person gaming, but I am just getting back into rpgs after many many years, and none of my friends here are eager to play :(

Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:23 pm

We used Fantasy grounds a while back(for DnD 3.5 though).
Now if I ever play Desolation Online it will be with a few close personal friends so I think Skype with a dice roller will suffice

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:00 am