It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:10 am

Advice for my first session 

Post Advice for my first session
Hello all!

Here I am, two years after I first discovered and read the core. Our session of testing the waters never materialized and we moved on,as life dictates sometimes.
Now some guys and gals would like us to run a skype (or roll20 we'll see) game and I proposed to revisit this setting that I've loved from afar.
I ve been re-reading the books to refresh my memory with the intention of running the adventure from the rulebook.

And here's where I'd like your help,oh people who have ran this Game Before. Is this adventure appropriate for running if only the GM has read the rules,explaining them on the go?
Could this work with Desolation or should I have them read the rules first and then play? (whenever that comes *sigh*).

Its not that I am less busy than my players,its that most of them are slow and reluctant readers..

Happy Gaming!

Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:43 am

Post Re: Advice for my first session
I have a group that shares that sentiment. It has advantages, especially if you are starting in the Before. You can use it as an opportunity to truly shock your players on how much things have changed. Personally, I wish I hadn't told my players that it was supposed to be a post apocalyptic game, I think they would have been drawn in even more.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:42 am

Mannik The Tormented wrote:
I have a group that shares that sentiment. It has advantages, especially if you are starting in the Before. You can use it as an opportunity to truly shock your players on how much things have changed. Personally, I wish I hadn't told my players that it was supposed to be a post apocalyptic game, I think they would have been drawn in even more.

Hi! thanks for the responce.
I was wondering if these halls were void of life...

The game they are interested in, fortunately(especially since a post apoc Fantasy game is something unheard of) but I was wondering if it would be a pain
to run without them having read the rules...What did you do?

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:13 am

That depends entirely on your group. I didn't mind coaching them through combat through the first game, but you could also take JohnK's approach and have a sample battle before the game starts. Maybe the same day they make characters. If you have a player or two whom are a little more diligent about reading, have them help you coach those who are not. If you are worried about them not understanding creation, you may need to get together and have a 'work shop.' You can discuss building characters with all of them, rather than having to repeat it 5 times.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:50 pm

Mannik The Tormented wrote:
That depends entirely on your group. I didn't mind coaching them through combat through the first game, but you could also take JohnK's approach and have a sample battle before the game starts. Maybe the same day they make characters. If you have a player or two whom are a little more diligent about reading, have them help you coach those who are not. If you are worried about them not understanding creation, you may need to get together and have a 'work shop.' You can discuss building characters with all of them, rather than having to repeat it 5 times.

Thanks again. Well, I was thinking of giving them the premade characters. Also the session will be through voice chat

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:41 pm

A year after that post and I still haven't run the game *sigh*

You know a Quick Start Rules pdf would really help people get into the game :)

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:12 pm