It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:15 pm

Evil in the Works 

Post Evil in the Works
I have two players interested in playing an "evil" campaign, and after much deliberation, I've decided to go with it. Of course they picked rather cliche evil character types for the setting: necromancer and orc (blood-runed warrior), but that should be fine as they aren't planning on hiding it. Most of the logistics I've left up to them (they are meeting at college to discuss tactics when I'm not around), so it should make for an interesting game to say the least.

It will be running every sunday barring unforseen circumstances and I should have a report up by monday night about their antics.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Evil in the Works
Love to hear about how this goes. We've run some "evil" characters and there are some definite differences to running a game when the PCs are the bad guys. It's usually fun though, until the consequences come back to haunt them. With the general lawlessness of the After, I can see a lot of story arc possibilities.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:48 am
Profile WWW

So far the Necromancer has revived three Troll skeletons, 4 Orc Skeletons and 2 goblin zombies (hunting in the Oruskan, he calls it recruiting). The Orc Butcher has carved runes into the Necomancer, himself and the Troll Greater Undead they are traveling with to increase their strength and speed. They have become quite an army to be reckoned with so far.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:58 am
Profile WWW

Well, it has been awhile, but sadly the characters died.... I rolled for random effects when the After began (they asked me to) and the Undead minions "died" except for the Troll, which went berserk... The area caused all Burn to be Lethal and the characters being spellcasters was just a bad mix.

I have learned that evil campaigns are not my forte and I really didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I did, which brings up an interesting question. This is really to anyone, but do you prefer storytelling (or playing) in good or evil campaigns?

Wed May 12, 2010 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

I don't have a lot of experience playing "evil" campaigns, but I've always felt them to be somewhat self-limiting.

It seems to me most players translate "evil" to "kill, rape, pillage and burn" which frankly becomes monotonous very quickly. I suppose the alternative would be to play a game of intrigue, veiled diplomacy, and deception, but then the lines of "good" and "evil" become rather blurred so is it still an "evil" game?

It's for the most part not my cup of tea, though, so I'm not sure my opinion counts for much. ;)

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Thu May 13, 2010 8:13 am

When I was playing Dungeons and Dragons, in an evil campaign my cousin was running, we stormed a castle and set up base - building an army. Though rivalries between characters in the group caused an early demise. Too bad... That was my favorite character...

When we get together, we play by the rule - play your character. We typically don't do good or evil campaigns, every one just plays what they want to play. We just agreed to all play evil characters that time. While this causes a few problems, we all share a 'common goal.' For example - the good rogue wants to return the orb to the temple, while the evil fighter wants to sell it or take it for his own reasons. No one know's the alignment of the others, so you are left to judge character (unless you are a paladin, or course.) Which is actually a reason I love this system - no alignment. No guidelines, just consistency.

Sorry if I'm rambling... I've had a bit to drink tonight.

Fri May 14, 2010 12:19 am