It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:08 pm

PBeM Game of DESOLATION? 
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Post PBeM Game of DESOLATION?
Hullo, folks,

Out of curiosity, is anyone out there running a game of DESOLATION in PBeM or some other format?

If not, I have been considering running a game, but would like to hear how many folks might be interested in such a game?

(Heck, we can even talk where the game would be run, format, and all that good stuff.)

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:56 pm

Post Re: PBeM Game of DESOLATION?
We're not widely publicising this just yet, but there's www.nextgenrpg.com for online, collaborative storytelling - PBeM without the emails... Please, take a look and see what you think! The site's in early days at the moment and we're still looking for new features - any suggestions very welcome. There's already a Ubiquity dice roller on there, if that's any incentive.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:07 pm
Profile WWW

I would most definately be down for some form of Desolation in the online form. I usually do my Play by Post-ing over at http://www.myth-weavers.com/ because the format for maintaining a game is really well done. A place with a ubiquity roller certainly has it's appeal, though. Regardless of the where, I'd be in for it.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:25 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

I'm swamped...but have really been interested in a Desolation game.

I'm spoiled to the collaborative method now, though... It's smoother than PbP and PBEM, not as busy on the eye and easier to follow. ...but opinions vary of course, and that's just my opinion.

Consider me following this thread, again. :) The infamous recurring thread, of running a Desolation game online!

Imajica, I love the dice roller! ...and if someone runs a Desolation game over there, can we put up the style chip counter too. That would be sweet.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:30 pm
Profile YIM
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Imajica,

Imajica wrote:
We're not widely publicising this just yet, but there's http://www.nextgenrpg.com for online, collaborative storytelling - PBeM without the emails... Please, take a look and see what you think! The site's in early days at the moment and we're still looking for new features - any suggestions very welcome. There's already a Ubiquity dice roller on there, if that's any incentive.

To be honest, mate, I went to the site and really couldn't make head or tail of it. What exactly do you mean when you say "PBeM without the emails" above? How does the process work, in that case?

I mean, when push comes to shove, I could just as easily run a PBeM game here on the forums in a section dedicated to such a game, or could run the game over on YahooGroups. But we'll see what we'll see, after I hear back from you on the question above. :)

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:24 am

I'll let you in on a secret... I'm not 100% sure I can explain the site properly. I'll leave that to Chairman.

I'm involved in a game that's just starting up there now, so I'll have a better idea shortly. I do know that it's collaborative authoring of a document so rather than being a simple action-reaction (receive email-respond to email) it's a lot more fluid. This might be what you're wanting, or you might be wanting the more rigid approach. I'll report back on how it plays.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Imajica wrote:
I'll let you in on a secret... I'm not 100% sure I can explain the site properly. I'll leave that to Chairman.

Gee thanks! :)

I don't know, i'll try to briefly explain it. It's like magic. *grin* Have you ever messed with google docs? Where two or more people can edit the same document? It's very similar to that principal.

http://www.nextgenrpg.com/drupal/conten ... ing-part-3

Above is an existing game move, this is the only file that will exist for that game move until the GM creates another document page/game move.

Here's a quick and dirty on how to play/post using this medium.

Can you give me a quick snapshot of HOW you play games here?

1. The GM will create the opening move and you will see it on the front page.
2. Click into the game move to read it;
3. When you are ready to edit it, click on the edit tab near the top, it's situated next to the view tab. (You have to have privileges to the game or you will NOT see the edit tab.) This will show the editable version of the game move to date.
4. Find the spot in the game file where you would like to make your additions.
5. Use the text editor for any formatting & adding any pics, as you add in your new content. (If you don't like the editor you can turn it off, below the text entry box.)
6. Click Preview to make sure it's how you want it, and when it is, click Submit.

It's as simple as that. One page hosts a game move, and GMs create as many pages as the want to accommodate their story, like it the party splits, or something. Each move is a single document, that everyone adds to. It keeps the story continuity on point, and is easy on the eye.

People can check the site for updates, or subscribe to the game thread, so that it'll send them emails when an update is made. But actual editing takes place on the site instead of over email. And in one document, instead of a stream of forum post squares. It also can have pictures placed right into the document to help liven it up and make it feel like a real story.

sample of a dynamic game moves with pics.
http://www.nextgenrpg.com/drupal/conten ... ate-part-2
http://www.nextgenrpg.com/drupal/conten ... ail-part-5
http://www.nextgenrpg.com/drupal/conten ... ate-part-6

Galleries, forums, personal note area, flashchat and tools (die rollers, style chip counters) to help play are also available on the site for the GMs and players to use. *shrug* It's very...next generation, hence the name. And for people that don't like change, they may not like this. ...but for people willing to give it a try... you might get spoiled to it.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:56 pm
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

Another possible downside with this medium, is that you would have an audience. A lot of the members read the other games since they're in easy to read story format, and will sometimes comment on things. Always nice of course...but if you didn't want an audience, it might be another down side.

...although, a game could be made private. *shrug* ....now that I think about it. Just something I wanted to throw out there, so you knew.

There's a game accepting submissions right now, called Project: Eradicate if anyone is interested. It's a low powered supers game using Hero. The game call is in the Forum, but here's the link to the initial information.
http://www.nextgenrpg.com/drupal/conten ... -eradicate

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:02 pm
Profile YIM
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Imajica,

Imajica wrote:

hehe The inmates can be baffled by the set-up there, too, huh? :)

Imajica wrote:
I'm involved in a game that's just starting up there now, so I'll have a better idea shortly. I do know that it's collaborative authoring of a document so rather than being a simple action-reaction (receive email-respond to email) it's a lot more fluid. This might be what you're wanting, or you might be wanting the more rigid approach. I'll report back on how it plays.

Out of curiosity, Imajica, what game system are you playing in there?

In any event, look forward to hearing back from you about how that set-up plays.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:59 am
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Chairman,

Chairman wrote:
I don't know, i'll try to briefly explain it. It's like magic. *grin* Have you ever messed with google docs? Where two or more people can edit the same document? It's very similar to that principal.

I have played around wtih Google docs, and to be honest, I dislike that process immensely. Moreso from the point of running a game that way and all. But that's just me.

Chairman wrote:
<massive snippage>

Galleries, forums, personal note area, flashchat and tools (die rollers, style chip counters) to help play are also available on the site for the GMs and players to use. *shrug* It's very...next generation, hence the name. And for people that don't like change, they may not like this. ...but for people willing to give it a try... you might get spoiled to it.

While the style of gaming sounds fascinating, and appeals to me in certain respects, I'm not sure I want to spend that much time on-line working on the game, and there's a few other issues that I have with this style of gaming, mostly personal.

I will think about the approach that I want to take to the game a bit more, but in the meantime, I will wait and see how many folks express an interest in playing the game and all.

Thanks for your time and the explanations and all. Much appreciated. :)

Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:04 pm

JohnK, it's a Hero system game I'm in. Once I get the feel of it I'm going to put out feelers for a Deliria (or some other Urban Fantasy) game... I'll keep you posted...

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

JohnK wrote:

Thanks for your time and the explanations and all. Much appreciated. :)

You are most welcome. :)

Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:12 pm
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

JohnK wrote:

While the style of gaming sounds fascinating, and appeals to me in certain respects, I'm not sure I want to spend that much time on-line working on the game, and there's a few other issues that I have with this style of gaming, mostly personal.

I will think about the approach that I want to take to the game a bit more, but in the meantime, I will wait and see how many folks express an interest in playing the game and all.

Yeah, I understand. Change isn't for everyone, and this discussion has helped me quite a bit. I'm gonna create a game sandbox over at NextGen, so people w/o accounts, can - if they want, play around with a game document to see how it works. So, thanks for the questions!

I'll be following this thread - to see what unfolds with the game. :)

Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:23 pm
Profile YIM
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Imajica,

Imajica wrote:
JohnK, it's a Hero system game I'm in. Once I get the feel of it I'm going to put out feelers for a Deliria (or some other Urban Fantasy) game... I'll keep you posted...

Deliria, huh? I might be tempted, except for the fact that I have too many things going on right now, in terms of the gaming stuff that I do. Might try and watch what's going on, given the chance, but we'll see...

Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:26 am

There's going to be room for NPCs and the occasional drop-in character for you John, I'm sure. But I'm still trying to work out the logistics of it. Hoping to be able to use it as a testing ground for some stuff in a novel I'm working on...

Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:19 pm
Profile WWW