It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:05 pm

PBeM Game of DESOLATION? 
Scavenger
Scavenger

Post Re: PBeM Game of DESOLATION?
Chairman wrote:
There's a game accepting submissions right now, called Project: Eradicate if anyone is interested. It's a low powered supers game using Hero. The game call is in the Forum, but here's the link to the initial information.
http://www.nextgenrpg.com/drupal/conten ... -eradicate

Hey Nestor,

You got into this game. :)

She just made the casting decision today. You also had a bunch of replies to your introduction post.

Here's the linkage - http://www.nextgenrpg.com/drupal/forum/ ... mment-1092

Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:47 pm
Profile YIM
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Imajica,

Imajica wrote:
There's going to be room for NPCs and the occasional drop-in character for you John, I'm sure. But I'm still trying to work out the logistics of it. Hoping to be able to use it as a testing ground for some stuff in a novel I'm working on...

Sounds interesting. Look forward to hearing more about how this develops and all.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:48 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

To revive an old topic. :)

There are currently two Desolation games in the works at http://www.nextgenrpg.com. One of them has already filled the casting slots, through word of mouth and early interest on the site. This is the one that I'll be running. I wanted 5 players, but it looks like that will be expanded to 6, because I have a problem saying the 'No' word. (That's the reason my other text based hero game has 13 PCs :D )

Imajica will be running the other one, and is far more familiar with the system than I am. ...so, I'm sure it will totally rock! If anyone is interested in following the discussion there, here's the link. So long as you don't want to reply, you shouldn't need an account. If you do want to jump into the conversation, I welcome and encourage you to do so, but you'll need to sign up for an account.

I'll put the official casting call on here, once Imajica has it written. He and I have discussed some higher level of collaboration, so there could be crossovers on the site, which would really be exciting. I think his vision is a city level campaign, while mine is a questing/traveling type campaign. So, the crossover opportunities would be limited, but they will be there to explore if we want to. And by crossovers, I mean, characters from his game and characters from my game, actually having a chance to meet and share a scene or scenario.

I'll keep the list informed as things progress.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:06 pm
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

Moved from Survivor's thread.

Imajica wrote:

Nestor, I'm working on it. Another few weeks and I should (hopefully) be ready for a casting call.

That's very cool, Imajica.

After chatting with my group, I think we'll start heavy game play as soon after the first of the year as we can. Right now people are finalizing characters. Oddly enough 5 of my 6 will be playing humans, the other is a Rover. After the sheets are completed we'll be working on the Night of Fire pieces, the Preludes and hashing out the basic relationships that were forged during the Long Winter and write some fiction to depict key scenes from that period.

I imagine that the Preludes will happen between the NoF and the Long Winter, and heavy game play will start after the Thaw.

You will likely beat me to game play. :) Yay you!

I'll want to get my hands on Survivors to decide where they'll be sitting out the winter, or get some inspiration to help create my own little settlement.

Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:32 pm
Profile YIM

I think we should synchronise the start of our games, get all the preparation down and solid, make sure the bits and pieces we both will need on the site are working properly (*cough*style point counter*cough*) and that the prologues are properly finished.

Then we can hold a mini Desolation party on the site!

Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Woo hoo! :D

Wait, that would mean we'd have to wait at least three months?

:cry:

Hmm, maybe I'll play a Mongrel to add some variety. Maybe him.

Whad'ja think? :D

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:59 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

Imajica wrote:
I think we should synchronise the start of our games, get all the preparation down and solid, make sure the bits and pieces we both will need on the site are working properly (*cough*style point counter*cough*) and that the prologues are properly finished.

Then we can hold a mini Desolation party on the site!

...well... That would be absolutely fine, but not required.

I have zero issues with you getting up and running before me. But I have to have the *cough* style chip counter *cough*. I think the extra step could cripple a text based game if we don't have it to help eliminate the passing of chips. Where as with it, it should be smooth.

I honestly feel kind of bad if you hold up your game cuz I'm slow. Although, one of the reasons I wanted to wait is that from my experience, December can be pretty barren with Text games, the holidays can cripple momentum. ...and I didn't want to get off to a bang up start and then have it flounder under the real life holiday drama.

...so, up to you. Poor Nestor might go nuts though if you make him wait too long. *grin*

Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:15 pm
Profile YIM

Nestor can help out with fleshing out the city 8)

I'm all for getting the casting call out, sorting out the players and characters before Christmas kicks in. Get the "Before" done stuff before Christmas and start on the "After", well, after Christmas.

I've got some background material to work on before I'm ready to open things up. But then...

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:10 am
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Oooh, that would be cool. :D

As long as it doesn't make it harder for me to participate in the game itself. ;)

Imajica, did you by any chance ever have the old Chaosium Thieves' World boxed set? It's set specifically in the universe of the shared-world series, but it was the most detailed and well-written description of a fantasy medieval town I have ever seen.

I believe Green Ronin came out with their own books recently but I have no idea how good they are.

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:38 am
Site Admin

There was also an old boxed set called something like the Invincible Overlord... I think it was put out by Mayfair games, but was built to be used with D&D... it had a big ole city with every single building labled. It even had a booklet of NPCs that were tied to the differnt buildings.. It was pretty fantastical (not sure how usable it would be for Desolation), but I wonder if anyone else remembers it. I think it had centaurs and nagas as player character racees.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:30 pm
Profile WWW

@Nestor - Thieve's World. Check. On the list of books to check out.
@Matt - "City State of the Invincible Overlord"? Rings bells, I'll have to go a-hunting again.

Thanks for recommedning these things. Much help indeed!

Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:53 pm
Profile WWW