It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:05 pm

Text Based Desolation Game 
Scavenger
Scavenger

Post Re: Text Based Desolation Game
Nestor wrote:
Chairman wrote:
I don't know what a fez is. :)

Ah, a situation that must be remedied forthwith! :)

Despite appearances, that is not my homely mug on that pic, but the venerable John Rhys-Davies (as Sallah in the Indiana Jones movies), who I have been accused of resembling. :wink:

You DO resemble him! And I'm richer now that I know what a Fez is. *grin*

Quote:

OMG! Yes! I remember! You turned a character who the original writer of the adventure was unsure would work and made her truly awesome! I especially love the part when you boldly marched up to the Nazi Commander to negotiate for the Professor's release!

So, yes, that was me. :wink:

Yay! The elusive Nestor Mystery is solved. :!:

I was not hung over for your adventure. :) I'm sure that improved my game play. *snicker*

You know...I have a knack for playing completely useless characters. So...she may not actually work, but that surely doesn't mean she isn't fun to play. Most of my characters are so rich with fun flaws that I forget that they should be useful as well.

Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:48 am
Profile YIM
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Chairman,

Chairman wrote:
I know I don't have any cred on this site yet. :) I've been a member for a while but this is pretty much my first official post. I've been following along closely as the Desolation Game made it's way from vision to reality though, and I'm a big fan.

Welcome aboard! Always good to see another new face in the forums! :)

Chairman wrote:
I now have my book. I picked it up at Gen Con this year. Yay me!

My problem is.... is that I don't have a face to face group any more and my gaming has been reduced in some ways, and enriched in other ways, by playing text based games online.

Yep, that seems to be the story for a lot of folks, more's the pity, these days.

Chairman wrote:
This is a feeler to get an idea of whether or not there would be an interest in a PBEM Desolation game. I would rather play than GM though. ...because, while I'm experienced at running online games, I'm not sure if I have the time to dedicate to running another one. The thing is...I can't get the idea of running a Desolation game via this medium out of my head!

I have had a couple of folks express an interest in a PBeM game of some sort, as noted in <a href="http://greymalkindesigns.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=241&t=241">this thread</a>, and it's something that I might pursue if I get enough interest in it. (And yes, Nestor, if you're reading this, I would try to make this one last a lot longer, although I haven't abandoned the running of the HEX PBeM game altogether yet.)

Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:57 am
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Nestor,

Nestor wrote:
The idea of doing a PBeM Desolation game was actually more-or-less broached in this thread.

I think the main challenge would be to find someone with the time and borderline insane state of mind to actually run a game. I know from painful experience that is the hardest part of the whole thing.

Well, yes, the idea was broached in the thread you mention, and there were two of you there who expressed an interest in playing in a game. Now, we've got Chairman wanting a game, so perhaps I could be talked into this with a couple of other players joining the fray (as I'd want to run the game for around 5, maybe 6, people total...with my needing to figure out a way to expand the number of players over time). I actually have a few ideas on when I'd start the game and what I'd run for the first few stories and the like... I'd start sometime after the Thaw, and throw in some flashbacks to the Night of Fire, possibly even running one adventure down the line during the NoF.

The real question would be where to run the game... with the change in my e-mail address and all, I haven't figured out how to change that on my Yahoogroups as yet, but am working on that.

Are you saying that I'm borderline insane, btw? :)

Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:02 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

JohnK wrote:
The real question would be where to run the game... with the change in my e-mail address and all, I haven't figured out how to change that on my Yahoogroups as yet, but am working on that.

I would highly encourage you to check out http://www.lostcoastgaming.com as the medium for running this game.

EDIT: Don't go to link #1 below if you don't like dark stuff.

Here are two threads from my current campaign that I run there. The first shows an example of my intro post, waiting for the character or characters involved to tag back. The second, is an example of a thread that is still running, but has two active players in it (Matt - Renaldo & Andy - Raphael). This is to show the story like, fluid nature of it as it plays out, with GMs always getting final editing privileges. 1. http://www.lostcoastgaming.com/node/967 2. http://www.lostcoastgaming.com/node/979

It's slick. And makes a real story when you're done, kind of like a book. Nobody's efforts are lost and they're there for others to read and enjoy. All nice and pretty with no ugly forum quotes, or long email strings. They also have a lot of rpg friendly tools, like custom game galleries for art and pictures, character blog spaces, private notebook section, just a bunch of little things that really are useful for those that like to go a little crazy with their games. :) (like me)

I could go on and on and on... :) About why this is the best text based method available for running a game, but I won't.

The front page can seem intimidating at first, an eyesore even, but it's because it puts all of the tools on the front page that a player needs.

IF you're serious, and need help drumming up players, I can help with that. I know some good writers that might like to add a unique fantasy game like Desolation to their list of games.

Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:20 am
Profile YIM
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Chairman,

The site looks interesting at first glance, and so I will take a look at it and see what I want to do in this regard. Thanks for bringing this place to my attention. :)

Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:29 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

JohnK wrote:
Hullo, Chairman,

The site looks interesting at first glance, and so I will take a look at it and see what I want to do in this regard. Thanks for bringing this place to my attention. :)

Sure thing. Like I said though, it can be intimidating at first glance.

I'd be happy to walk you through it and give you privileges to the test game, if you wanna muss around with it and see if it's to your liking. :)

Just PM me, and I'll set you up. I'm an admin on the site there.

Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:46 am
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

JohnK wrote:
Hullo, Chairman,

...oh. ...and. ...oops.

I forgot to say thank you. :)

1. For being interested in taking on the monster of running an online game. Yay!!

2. For checking out lost coast gaming as a possible medium. Really appreciate it!

Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:56 am
Profile YIM
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Just a quick note to second that, thank you for taking up the mantle to run an online game. :D

I have no experience with lost coast gaming, but would willingly learn the new interface for a chance to play Desolation. :? I'll stump around and try to fin a player or two to reach critical mass.

I like what I'm seeing so far, I'm looking forward to seeing it unfold. Thanks again.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:51 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

Update

Someone from the Exiles Game Forum, has an idea on how we might make an applet to use for style chips integration into online play. :idea:

No promises or anything. But it sounds promising, just need to make sure the folks at lost coast are on board and able to test it out. I'm not sure if they have the time and resources right now. And that John (another John...not John K) is able to turn his thought into reality.

...now, this most certainly isn't a huge deal in the scheme of things, nor should it hold up a game or anything. I'm just excited about the prospect of getting a neat little way to deal with the chips, is all. Not to mention, that even if it is made, I don't think it would work over traditional email.

Just kind of throwing out an update is all. :)

Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:00 am
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

Chairman wrote:
Update
No promises or anything. But it sounds promising, just need to make sure the folks at lost coast are on board and able to test it out. I'm not sure if they have the time and resources right now. And that John (another John...not John K) is able to turn his thought into reality.

Ok... :)

Yes. I'm a dork. (Wanted to get that out of the way, right quick.)

This John guy, I think he's here on this site too... anyway... has already created the initial plug in. He's still fiddling with it and such. ...and the peeps at LCG are eager to get it up and test it out.

It's this totally cute little applet that can sit in the side bar, where we can credit and debit chips. I wanna post the url to it...but I'm not sure if that's ok, cuz I didn't ask him if I could share yet. But I will once I know if that's ok. :)

So... WooHoo! Yay me. Even if I am the only one that cares. *grin*

Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:36 pm
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

Hey, we care too! :wink:

I'm just waiting for the word to pounce on the game.

That's right. Waiting with worm on tongue. Bated breath. :mrgreen:

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:38 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

Nestor wrote:
Hey, we care too! :wink:

I'm just waiting for the word to pounce on the game.

That's right. Waiting with worm on tongue. Bated breath. :mrgreen:

Well...as you can see. I'm like a fly on stink once I get something in my head. :)

We'll make her happen. Like I said, if nobody can give a solid commitment, I should be able to do it after the holidays. Getting the additional players should be cake. Between posting here and on exile games (and if I run it, at LCG), it'll be a matter of choosing which characters would work best together.

In my experience once you embrace the idea and put out the player call... and the players know the GM is committed, then they start submitting. (Build it and they will come...) Sometimes the 'who wants to play method', can result in a little less enthusiastic greeting. Cuz so many fall apart, it's hard to know if you wanna waste your time on yet another character that may never see the light of day. Ugh. I hate that feeling.

Ideally though, I'd prefer being a player (*nudge* *nudge* *poke* *poke* JohnK). One. because I don't know the rules well enough yet, Two. haven't read the book all the way through yet. *duck* ...and Three. I'm already running another game, in hero, which is a bitch of a system. And she hates me!

I mean if we're seriously down to an issue of not enough people. I'd be happy to help with some recruiting! I think a post on Exile Games, PBEM2.com and wherever we're running the game...would do the trick. Just holler if that becomes the main issue, cuz I'm all about helping. Although, my luck, I'd get JohnK so many submissions that he'd have to prune through them and oust me. hrm.... :)

Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:35 pm
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

I agree.

In our little game community here, it's a well-established fact that if you send out an "Anyone interested in a game?" post, the reaction is underwhelming. But if you post "I'm setting up a game, starting this Friday. Show up if you want to play." people crawl out of the woodwork lickety-split. :)

My main hesitation at committing myself to running an online game is the simple fact that I have absolutely NO experience in doing so. My GM'ing style is very... shall we say, dramatic, and I'm not sure it would translate well into an essentially faceless environment.

Not to mention I'm still trying to get used to the speed. ("Post already, damn you!") :wink:

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:13 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

Nestor wrote:
My main hesitation at committing myself to running an online game is the simple fact that I have absolutely NO experience in doing so. My GM'ing style is very... shall we say, dramatic, and I'm not sure it would translate well into an essentially faceless environment.

I think you should give it a try, quite seriously. (All, self interest aside)

I know from experience that you GM with a lot of energy, and that can be hard to translate over text, but by no means impossible. And I loved how you used visual aids as well. If anything the online aspect can really enhance that, by getting characters involved to post pictures to your game's gallery, of what they look like, their NPCs...etc. etc. (sample gallery: http://www.lostcoastgaming.com/image/tid/75 )

I'm the opposite, the idea of sitting down and thinking quickly enough on my feet to run a game, is beyond daunting. It's impossible. This medium gives me an opportunity to craft each reply until I have it like I want it and then post it. You really never know until you try it.

Nestor wrote:

Not to mention I'm still trying to get used to the speed. ("Post already, damn you!") :wink:

I know! The GM can control pace to a certain degree, but inevitably we can only be as fast as our slowest player. And hey, sometimes that IS the GM (we all have our RL issues to deal with and stuff). ...but if you have the patience for it, it can be such a fulfilling endeavor. And it's there to read back later, whether it's 2 weeks down the road, or two years...and it's so awesome to be able to do that. In my opinion.

Ya know...? *big grin* The best way to find out is to give it a try.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:33 pm
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

Chairman wrote:
Chairman wrote:
It's this totally cute little applet that can sit in the side bar, where we can credit and debit chips. I wanna post the url to it...but I'm not sure if that's ok, cuz I didn't ask him if I could share yet. But I will once I know if that's ok. :)

This is a copy of a post from the Exile Forum board. It includes the link to the simple little app. (http://exilegames.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 6&start=15)

---
Posted By: Imajica

Thankyou for your thankyou. I am but a humble, computer-addicted servant who loves the excuse to knock out the odd little app like this.

For anyone else who's interested, the demo is at:
http://www.filesandrecords.com/ubiquity ... unter.html

It's very basic, there's no game or character management tools on there (they have to be plugged straight into the database) and, as has already been suggested by Chairman, its use isn't limited to Ubiquity. Any game that uses counters to do stuff could use this.

I plan on getting it to update automatically (on a timer for now), and on adding the management tools...

Feature suggestions - and suggestions for other little apps - always welcome.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:38 am
Profile YIM