It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:23 pm

Text Based Desolation Game 
Scavenger
Scavenger

Post Re: Text Based Desolation Game
Chairman wrote:
Ya know...? *big grin* The best way to find out is to give it a try.

Ya know, I would almost take you up on that, you sneaky person you. :D

Except I have abolutely no idea what I'd run. I actually sat there and racked my brains thinking what I could run. I just haven't done fantasy in so long (having been burned by the D&D mindset years ago) that nothing came up.

And yeah, it's a testament to how good this game is that it got me back into the fantasy genre. Go figure. :wink:

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:20 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

Nestor wrote:
Chairman wrote:
Ya know...? *big grin* The best way to find out is to give it a try.

Ya know, I would almost take you up on that, you sneaky person you. :D

Except I have abolutely no idea what I'd run. I actually sat there and racked my brains thinking what I could run. I just haven't done fantasy in so long (having been burned by the D&D mindset years ago) that nothing came up.

Dude. That's totally workable. :!:

I mean, I don't know what ''I'' would run either. And JohnK likely doesn't know what ''he'' would run (although I might be way off on that).

It's all abouts baby steps. Give the idea of running a game a day or two to simmer and see if anything hits you. You know we make our own trouble anyways. :)

Or...run one of the modules from GenCon?? 'cept for Price of Admission, I did that one already. :) ...Kind of a one shot playtest deal, and see how it works for you. That way you don't have to commit long term if you decide it isn't your thing.

Just some gentle persuasion here, is all. Not twisting your arm or anything. :wink:

Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:20 am
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

Haha! This is how I get into trouble. Little by little I get talked into something. :wink:

I didn't want to use the GenCon runs (which I have copies of) 'cause I figured people had already done those. But if you think folks would be willing to do one online, that might be workable.

Of course, then I'd have the pressure of figuring out what to do after the run is over. :)

Let me stew over this for a bit...

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:22 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

Nestor wrote:

Oh please do. Stew, boil and brew. :)

I would like to add one little bit onto my side of the argument though.

Matt, Jaimie and Stephen already destroyed the world...it's not like you could possibly make it any worse. 8)

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:06 pm
Profile YIM
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Chairman,

Chairman wrote:
JohnK wrote:
The site looks interesting at first glance, and so I will take a look at it and see what I want to do in this regard. Thanks for bringing this place to my attention. :)

...oh. ...and. ...oops.

I forgot to say thank you. :)

1. For being interested in taking on the monster of running an online game. Yay!!

2. For checking out lost coast gaming as a possible medium. Really appreciate it!

You're welcome. :) I don't consider running a game on-line, whether it's PBeM or PbP, to be all that difficult. Just time consuming at the beginning, and then depending on the number of players and the pace the players set.

While I like what I see at Lost Coast gaming, for the most part, I have no real desire to have to run the game live and on-line all the time. I am still considering running the game using the Yahoo groups stuff, the way I've run stuff in the past.

Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:04 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

rudedd wrote:
Just a quick note to second that, thank you for taking up the mantle to run an online game. :D

I have no experience with lost coast gaming, but would willingly learn the new interface for a chance to play Desolation. :? I'll stump around and try to fin a player or two to reach critical mass.

I like what I'm seeing so far, I'm looking forward to seeing it unfold. Thanks again.

Not a problem, Dennis. :) I just need to figure out one or two things before I commit to running the game is all. :)

Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:06 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Nestor,

Nestor wrote:
Hey, we care too! :wink:

I'm just waiting for the word to pounce on the game.

That's right. Waiting with worm on tongue. Bated breath. :mrgreen:

Ah, you always wait with bated breath and all that stuff, other than when you wait with baited breath over on the HEX forums. :)

Btw, got a question for you that I'll ask in PM.

Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:08 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Chairman,

Chairman wrote:
Ideally though, I'd prefer being a player (*nudge* *nudge* *poke* *poke* JohnK). One. because I don't know the rules well enough yet, Two. haven't read the book all the way through yet. *duck* ...and Three. I'm already running another game, in hero, which is a bitch of a system. And she hates me!

Well, that was subtle, Chairman. :wink:

Seriously, though, I just have a couple of other things to work out about running the DESOLATION PBeM game, and we'll be all set to go.

Chairman wrote:
I mean if we're seriously down to an issue of not enough people. I'd be happy to help with some recruiting! I think a post on Exile Games, PBEM2.com and wherever we're running the game...would do the trick. Just holler if that becomes the main issue, cuz I'm all about helping. Although, my luck, I'd get JohnK so many submissions that he'd have to prune through them and oust me. hrm.... :)

hehe In your dreams!! If you think I'm letting you off the hook on this one, you're crazy! :) That said, the format that I have in mind for the game will allow for around 10 or so players, methinks, so no worries there. That would be my upper limit for any game, no matter what.

Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:12 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Nestor,

Nestor wrote:
I agree.

In our little game community here, it's a well-established fact that if you send out an "Anyone interested in a game?" post, the reaction is underwhelming. But if you post "I'm setting up a game, starting this Friday. Show up if you want to play." people crawl out of the woodwork lickety-split. :)
Quote:

Ain't it the truth? :)

Nestor wrote:
My main hesitation at committing myself to running an online game is the simple fact that I have absolutely NO experience in doing so. My GM'ing style is very... shall we say, dramatic, and I'm not sure it would translate well into an essentially faceless environment.

Besides, Isuspect you much prefer being a player in PBeM and PbP games, so... :)

Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:14 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Chairman,

Chairman wrote:
I mean, I don't know what ''I'' would run either. And JohnK likely doesn't know what ''he'' would run (although I might be way off on that).

Yep, you're way off. :)

I've had a good idea of what I would do for a DESOLATION PBeM game for about five months now. I've even got the first few "adventures" that I would run mapped out, but nothing set in stone. :)

Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:17 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Nestor,

Nestor wrote:
Haha! This is how I get into trouble. Little by little I get talked into something. :wink:

I didn't want to use the GenCon runs (which I have copies of) 'cause I figured people had already done those. But if you think folks would be willing to do one online, that might be workable.

Of course, then I'd have the pressure of figuring out what to do after the run is over. :)

If you do decide to run, I'll be playing for sure! :)

Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:18 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

JohnK wrote:
While I like what I see at Lost Coast gaming, for the most part, I have no real desire to have to run the game live and on-line all the time. I am still considering running the game using the Yahoo groups stuff, the way I've run stuff in the past.

Lost Coast is online. but it isn't 'Live'.

I mean the pace is the same as a pbem and players get to it when they can. It's not like everyone shows up and plays at the same time. But it is online...so that anyone can see or read it, it's public, and that may very well be what you meant by 'live'. I was thinking like some of those chat room settings where you actually have to be THERE...ya know.

The main difference is that, instead of replying to an email when they reply. Instead they click on the document that you created, and add into that file, then click submit. This does away with you ever needing to do a compile. (not all GMs do compiles anyway. *shrug* But for those who do like to keep the story real and readable for future reference, it makes it nice to have the compiles already taken care of.) It also takes any worry away if you change email address or are away from your email, cuz it's accessible at a website URL.

The thing that bothers me about traditional play be emails, is how many different arcs a story sprouts. It can get frustrating when an NPC says something and then everyone replies to the same question. So when you try to compile it or make sense of it, it can become dificult. It's FUN. Cuz everybody gets to be center stage all of the time. :) ...but often times the split stories can get frustrating for me, because it loses the 'keeping it somewhat believable' aspect. (For me.) On the downside though, it takes away the feeling that's good for a players ego, that they're the stay most of the time.

It's a long running debate in one of the circles I run in. Is it about the GAME. OR. Is it about the STORY. There are Gamer Gamers - just wanna play and have fun. And then Story Gamers - who want to play, have fun, but produce a living story while they're at it. And...confession time. I'm all about the bringing the characters to life in a way that others can read about them and learn to love them, or hate them. Neither is right or wrong, it's just about what an individual finds rewarding. ...and personally, if I'm going to put a lot of time and effort into something, like to produce something that I can look back on later and enjoy as well.

One last plea for using Lost Coast, is that Imajica has created a code that we'll be implementing, to deal with style chips. It's simple and cool. And as you hand them out or take them, you just click it. It's always right there and will eliminat any ooc: accounting that will need to be done. Which, as a GM, I would find pretty cool. But... *grin* I would also have my players award each other so that I didn't forget, which would compound my accounting. I'm guessing though, that since you've run a HEX game before, you already have a system in place for this over PBEM. So it may not be a very big selling point.

Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:48 pm
Profile YIM