It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:22 pm

Text Based Desolation Game 
Scavenger
Scavenger

Post Text Based Desolation Game
Howdy folks,

I know I don't have any cred on this site yet. :) I've been a member for a while but this is pretty much my first official post. I've been following along closely as the Desolation Game made it's way from vision to reality though, and I'm a big fan.

I now have my book. I picked it up at Gen Con this year. Yay me!

My problem is.... is that I don't have a face to face group any more and my gaming has been reduced in some ways, and enriched in other ways, by playing text based games online.

This is a feeler to get an idea of whether or not there would be an interest in a PBEM Desolation game. I would rather play than GM though. ...because, while I'm experienced at running online games, I'm not sure if I have the time to dedicate to running another one. The thing is...I can't get the idea of running a Desolation game via this medium out of my head!

Between the easy Ubiquity rules and the flashback opportunities...this game is begging to be brought to life in book format.

Even if we couldn't get an all out game going...maybe I could run a one shot adventure, using the collaborative story telling format, just to see if it's everything that I envision it could be.

So! Lemme know if anyone would be interested. ...and maybe we can figure something out. If anyone isn't familiar with this method, I'd be happy to provide a link to give you an idea of how it works. At minimum, you would need a desire to play Desolation and a healthy desire and ability to write for your character.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:59 am
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

Post Re: Text Based Desolation Game
The idea of doing a PBeM Desolation game was actually more-or-less broached in this thread.

I think the main challenge would be to find someone with the time and borderline insane state of mind to actually run a game. I know from painful experience that is the hardest part of the whole thing.

As for interest, well shoot, I'm certainly for it, as I suspect are a few other forum-ites. The Ubiquity system actually lends itself quite nicely to an online environment (with elemetns like Taking the Average, f'r instance).

So, like you, I'd certainly love to play, but not certain I could run.

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:43 am
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

:lol: Yea, what Nestor said. I was writing a post and when I previewed I saw that Nestor beat me to the punch and said much of what I was going to say. So, I'll definitely throw my hat in the ring to play too.

Maybe we can help with getting that idea out of your head and into the digital realm. As for a full up versus a one shot, maybe we could start with a one shot and see how it goes then decide about further adventures. I'd be happy to try Desolation out even if it's for one adventure.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:07 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

Nestor wrote:
The idea of doing a PBeM Desolation game was actually more-or-less broached in this thread.

I think the main challenge would be to find someone with the time and borderline insane state of mind to actually run a game. I know from painful experience that is the hardest part of the whole thing.

As for interest, well shoot, I'm certainly for it, as I suspect are a few other forum-ites. The Ubiquity system actually lends itself quite nicely to an online environment (with elemetns like Taking the Average, f'r instance).

So, like you, I'd certainly love to play, but not certain I could run.

Yup yup! It's screaming for an online game.

I tried to get Matt to let me run one before it was released... but... Nooooo. :)

Now, I can run one, but I'm flirting with the fringe of being tapped out. I run a pretty intensive Heroes Game at lost coast gaming. It's a great collaborative story format, not pbem or forum. Each game has their own space where the GM creates a web page for each game move/chapter, and all the players hop in and edit the file. So it's slick and smooth, no ugly formatting, or those dreaded story splits that happen in pbems that make compiling almost impossible. And as each file closes it becomes a chapter in the game book. Kinda neat. I dig it.

We're working to get a system up and running there for style chips, or other games that use chips. Somebody is tinkering with Universales(?), or some crazy name like that. (Which from what little I've read, seems insane.)

If I ran the game (allow me an insane moment here), I could get some good gamers to round it out if there isn't enough interest here. BUT. The peeps I can get for the most part aren't yet familiar with Desolation. I have a knack for corrupting people though.

I'd say 4-5 people would be the perfect number. With a commitment to post at least 3 times a week, game doesn't have to be blazing fast...but the nature of them are so slow anyways the more peeps can post the more real and fun it would be.

I checked out that other thread. Thanks! I'd have nevah evah found that.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:15 am
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

rudedd wrote:
:lol: Yea, what Nestor said. I was writing a post and when I previewed I saw that Nestor beat me to the punch and said much of what I was going to say. So, I'll definitely throw my hat in the ring to play too.

Maybe we can help with getting that idea out of your head and into the digital realm. As for a full up versus a one shot, maybe we could start with a one shot and see how it goes then decide about further adventures. I'd be happy to try Desolation out even if it's for one adventure.

I could definitely commit to a one shot game. It would likely run about 4-6 months...if I know my text games. And I do. Matt can choose to vouch for me or not. He's been a victim of mine a few times over this medium.

....but... might run longer or shorter depending on posting frequency and such.

...not to mention that what is left of the sane part of my brain, is telling me I should wait till after the holidays to start this. I could be wrong...but holidays have a way of killing a game's momentum and make it very hard to rebound.

I'd be up to playing as a player sooner. But if I were to GM this, I'd need to hold out till the first week of January to launch it. Which would also allow me time to get my story together and such. Whereas I could get a character together in a week or less, if I'm not suffering from brain freeze.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:20 am
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

I do agree that the holidays can play havoc with gaming schedules, although with an online environment it might not be as onerous.

I'm willing to give anyone insane enough to GM however much slack he/she would need. I have no illusions as to the level of effort it takes. :wink:

My online gaming experience is modest; unfortunately, I have had bad luck finding long-lasting games. Seems every time I join one, it dribbles into inactivity after a month or so (not from my lack of participation). :(

Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:16 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

Nestor wrote:
I do agree that the holidays can play havoc with gaming schedules, although with an online environment it might not be as onerous.

I'm willing to give anyone insane enough to GM however much slack he/she would need. I have no illusions as to the level of effort it takes. :wink:

My online gaming experience is modest; unfortunately, I have had bad luck finding long-lasting games. Seems every time I join one, it dribbles into inactivity after a month or so (not from my lack of participation). :(

That is really typical. You aren't alone in that.

It's hard to find a GM and a game with staying power. Without the face to face aspects it's easy for people to just disappear. *poof*

Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:22 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Chairman wrote:
I could definitely commit to a one shot game. It would likely run about 4-6 months...if I know my text games. And I do. Matt can choose to vouch for me or not. He's been a victim of mine a few times over this medium.

Who? Chairman?

Never heard of you.

And I've certainly never played in 6 or 7 different PBEMs with you, ranging from classic D&D to dark champions games over the last 10 years.

:D

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Matt wrote:
Chairman wrote:

Who? Chairman?

Never heard of you.

And I've certainly never played in 6 or 7 different PBEMs with you, ranging from classic D&D to dark champions games over the last 10 years.

:D

mmmmhmmmm ...that definitely wouldn't be me. :roll:

I think that YOU should run it. *most serious expression eVAR*

I still have fond memories of Ashers Peek. *grin*

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:14 pm
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

So...let's pretend that we have a GM and we're actually going to get to play Desolation. :?

Would we want to play through the Night of Fire? ...and the grueling emotional turmoil that would bring up?

or

Do the 18 months after bit?

or

Something else?

Personally, I'm really into the flashback opportunities, so starting later totally works for me, cuz we could still do all the NoF stuff in flashbacks and such.

Just curious if you have any awesome ideas or even not so awesome ideas, or preferences.

...and last but not least. Why does the name Nestor sound so familiar to me? Did I meet you at GenCon? Were you GMing a Hallow Earth Expedition game? Or maybe in a game I played in or something?

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:25 pm
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

:mrgreen:

I did indeed GM a few HEX games at GenCon. Depending on when you saw me, I would have been sporting a nifty red fez.

I also magnanimously lent my name to the writer(s) of the HEX Wilderness Kids game that ran at GenCon. At one point, I was GM'ing at a neighboring table from one of the runs, and the GM was handing out Style points to whomever got me to turn my head every time they used my name. :)

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:00 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

But, back on topic...

I would vote for starting the game after the Thaw, unless the campaign concept is that the characters come from a common origin (i.e., had a reason to be together when the sky fell).

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:02 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

Nestor wrote:
:mrgreen:

I did indeed GM a few HEX games at GenCon. Depending on when you saw me, I would have been sporting a nifty red fez.

I don't know what a fez is. :)

Nestor wrote:
I also magnanimously lent my name to the writer(s) of the HEX Wilderness Kids game that ran at GenCon. At one point, I was GM'ing at a neighboring table from one of the runs, and the GM was handing out Style points to whomever got me to turn my head every time they used my name. :)

I think that I was in your game, where we had to go in the professor's digging machine to the center of the Earth. I think you were filling in for another GM actually.

I played the Phi Beta Zeta sorority chick. Not that I suspect to be particularly memorable. *grin*

...and if that was the game. There was a guy from Germany... *grin* Which added an interesting element while cursing the Natzi's.

Any who. If that was you, much fun was had. If not...I'm sure you still had a wonderful game. :P

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:12 am
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

Nestor wrote:
But, back on topic...

I would vote for starting the game after the Thaw, unless the campaign concept is that the characters come from a common origin (i.e., had a reason to be together when the sky fell).

Egg-cellent point.

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:15 am
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

Chairman wrote:
I don't know what a fez is. :)

Ah, a situation that must be remedied forthwith! :)

Despite appearances, that is not my homely mug on that pic, but the venerable John Rhys-Davies (as Sallah in the Indiana Jones movies), who I have been accused of resembling. :wink:

Quote:
I think that I was in your game, where we had to go in the professor's digging machine to the center of the Earth. I think you were filling in for another GM actually.

I played the Phi Beta Zeta sorority chick. Not that I suspect to be particularly memorable. *grin*

OMG! Yes! I remember! You turned a character who the original writer of the adventure was unsure would work and made her truly awesome! I especially love the part when you boldly marched up to the Nazi Commander to negotiate for the Professor's release!

And yes, the German fellow was very good at playing the skeptic academic looking to discredit Scrumtumbler's work. The discussion between your character and his as to where you actually were was a pleasure to watch. :)

So, yes, that was me. :wink:

Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:18 am