It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:06 pm

One Continent? 

Post Re: One Continent?
Well so far I have a few small Rover towns of those Rovers that never left their homeland for Scondera for whatever reason (I need some ideas here), a crazy goblin bazaar (modeled after Arabian markets), another two races (still working out the kinks there, Avariel and Kenku), a monastic sect of the Argent path (rejects from Nascency for differences in faith, Necromancers), humans (Ascondea of the south, though nowhere near as large), and most anything else people suggest.

There will be another religion made up of bards that is very similar to the Two Above with Harmonii and Discorde, twins sisters who rule over Music (muses of musical harmony and dischord, respectively). They believe that Life itself is music and the twins rule over that as well so the bards that follow the religion are likely to create order or instill chaos to strengthen a god's hold in the world.

My thinking is that the south never felt the full effect of the Apocalypse. However, the sea routes to Ascondea have been lost to Brotula and other beasts. The land route has been lost to a chasm 50 miles wide. The Weave did rip apart there as well, so magic users were lost on the Night, though not nearly as many as there was no fire in the sky or other effects, plus those in the South are more apt to do something by hand than resort to Magic use. They are not against Magic, but rather believe that its use should be for emergency purposes or when the body is incapable of doing something, never in place of what you can do with your own hands.

What this means is a more complicated system for me as there is now a trade system (I'll need to come up with prices, currency and an economy). I may actually make it a floating trade system, meaning the exchange rates of gold coins to silver, for example, are not always the same. If anyone has watched or read Spice and Wolf they'll know what I'm talking about, if not I can explain how it works.

Historically, the lands South of the Saikin Wastes have not been visited due to distance, the strip of land that connects them is fairly long and the trip by sea is even longer as the land is concave away from Scondera. There was trade happening (especially through Cynosure) due to the Southern spices and craftsmanship of their goods. Most of the fighting in the area Before was political across the spectrum. Now, they have been invaded by those from Scondera seeking refuge or seeking to create a new foothold for power in the After.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: One Continent?
These are great ideas. Happy to hear the world is expanding. I'd love to hear more about them as they develop.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:39 pm
Profile WWW