It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:50 am

Walking The Path 
Scavenger
Scavenger

Post Walking The Path
I've always been curious about exploring the concept of the paladin, not as the stereotypical Dudley Do-Right or intolerant crusader, but as a man of faith being put to the test as a holy warrior. I'd had a bit of a chance to try out the archetype in, of all things, a cyberpunkish Cthulhu-like campaign, but it struck me that, with the Argent Path as part of the world, Desolation is a prime place to do some more.

My questions, then, are related to the religion and the organization. There is an implied level of tolerance in the faith ("[They] consider any path traveled by the righteous to be an Argent Path.") but also an apparent shift to a more militant stance after the Night of Fire. I guess I'm wondering whether the followers of Sansehl are then to be protrayed as zealots ("my way or the highway") or is there still a place for leniency.

What is the Church of the Argent Path's attitude regarding magic, both Before and After? Does it embrace the practice, or consider it another of Llevalak's temptations?

Then there are the Wayfarers. I guess it's safe to assume that they're trained in combat as a knightly order, but are there any other skill areas that they're expected to focus on (e.g., healing, diplomacy, academics)?

I realize information like this was left vague so as to let GMs customize as they see fiot, but I was curious as to your own take on the subject, even if only as a springboard.

Thanks!

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:27 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Walking The Path
I have about 10 minutes before I need to leave for my fantasy football draft, but I wanted to toss out some thoughts (while I still had them).

1. Lambent Springs, a community in the Surivors book, is a good example of the faith moving towards the zealous extreme. They are intolerant of magic anything that does not abide by their strict worldview.

2. There is a large degree of variance within the church and its views... zealots are just the loudest and best known. If I were to run a long term campaign in the Silver Steppes, one of the primary plot lines would be for the future of the church and its message. I could see one side saying something like "The path covered in blood cannot be seen." or "If not freely travelled, the argent path becomes tarnished."

3. Wayfarers were originally conceived as paladin-esque persons who protect travellers. They should be skilled at languages, navigation, survival and combat. Many among them would certainly be healers as they tend and protect those on the road - I picture about 1 out of every 2 or 3.

4. I see magic as being mostly ignored by the church doctine and left to particular sects and orders. There are certainly those who embraced it. But there are also those who consider it another temptation (especially after the NoF).

Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Thanks, Matt! That's helpful information. And serendipitously, I found the entry on Lambent Springs in Survivors after I posted. :)

Good luck with your draft picks! :D

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:11 pm
Site Admin

Not a problem... I'm glad the religion is starting to get some eyeballs on it.

Let me know if you have any other questions about how we envisioned the Argent Path (or any of the other religions).

Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:31 am
Profile WWW