It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:07 pm

Total Attack 

Post Total Attack
The text for a Total Attack says this:
Quote:
When all that matters is taking an opponent down, your character may go entirely on the offensive - disregarding her own safety - and gain a +2 bonus to her attack roll.

There is no description of systematically what happens to your defense rolls for that turn. Is this meant to imply that you get NO defense rolls for the turn and take full damage for all attacks made against you? That would seem kind of harsh. I might run it as defense is at -2 for the first attack and then cumulative -2 for additional attacks as normal, but I'd like an official clarification.
Just to be sure, I also checked the Hollow Earth book and it says the same thing.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Post Re: Total Attack
While not an official ruling, I would say they lose active defense. I wouldn't see armor needing to be "activated" or needing any attention to make it work.

On a side note, that makes me want to test a couple combats where being attacked multiple times in a round doesn't deminish defense granted by armor... ie only defense based on attributes is deminished...

Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:01 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

Well, the answer is right there at the bottom of the paragraph (p. 179):
Quote:
Special: When making a total attack, your character cannot
actively defend herself. If she is attacked, you only get to
roll your character’s Passive Defense rating (plus any applicable
modifiers) for her Defense roll.

So Mannik's ruling is quite official after all. ;)

Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:31 am
Profile ICQ

Interesting. I must have an earlier printing than you do, Gilgamesh, my book doesn't have that "special" section. It goes straight from what I quoted to talking about Dual Wield, Flurry, and Rapid Fire. After that comes the section about Total Defense.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:29 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

Oh, that's interesting indeed. I quoted this from the PDF version of the book. I can't check my printed copy right now because I don't have it here but I will do this later on. Maybe they forgot this first but added it later in the PDF.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:58 pm
Profile ICQ

Indeed it is, I was at work when I posted earlier.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:08 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, PaladinRevenant,

PaladinRevenant wrote:
The text for a Total Attack says this:
Quote:
When all that matters is taking an opponent down, your character may go entirely on the offensive - disregarding her own safety - and gain a +2 bonus to her attack roll.

There is no description of systematically what happens to your defense rolls for that turn. Is this meant to imply that you get NO defense rolls for the turn and take full damage for all attacks made against you? That would seem kind of harsh. I might run it as defense is at -2 for the first attack and then cumulative -2 for additional attacks as normal, but I'd like an official clarification.
Just to be sure, I also checked the Hollow Earth book and it says the same thing.

Well, unless Jamie, Matt, or Stephen pipe up here on the subject, you won't have an official ruling right away on this one.

That said, I think the rule itself, as you quoted it above, makes its own point on this. *... - disregarding her own safety - ...* is a pretty obvious kind of thing, even if there's no game mechanics as to what that part of it means. I've always run this such that the character receives no Active Defense in the Round where he does a Total Attack, although armour does count as usual. My players have never had a problem with this ruling, and it seems to be a common sense one.

Hope that helps. :)

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:18 am
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Gilgamesh,

Gilgamesh wrote:
Well, the answer is right there at the bottom of the paragraph (p. 179):
Quote:
Special: When making a total attack, your character cannot actively defend herself. If she is attacked, you only get to roll your character’s Passive Defense rating (plus any applicable modifiers) for her Defense roll.

So Mannik's ruling is quite official after all. ;)

Interestingly enough, that section of text that you quoted above is found only in the PDF version of the game, and not the print version of the game. (I checked my copy of this just now.) This may well be where I got the original notion for my games on how to handle Defense for someone who does a Total Attack.

That said, it is a common sense rule in and of itself, and I have to wonder whether for some reason it was omitted from the PDF or what.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:23 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

Yep, I looked it up now. My printed copy of the book misses this paragraph as well.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:45 am
Profile ICQ