It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:44 am

Magic Tradition 

Post Re: Magic Tradition
JohnK wrote:
Mannik The Tormented wrote:
Personally, I enjoy the fact that if you chose to heal someone magically, you chose to harm something else. While it may not work for your world in particular, I think it adds a nice touch the the weight of the situations in Desolation.

That's only true of Necromancy, not so of the other Tradition that allows you to heal. And why it is that everyone tends to forget there *is* a Medicine skill in the game? :) Sure, one may not have the materials that one needs to do surgery or whatever, but using Medicine is a much safer way in some ways to heal people, and magic is tougher to use in the After.

Sorry, didn't clarify that first part more, though Blood Rune Writers must carve into flesh to use magic. Also, never forgot about medicine, evaros was asking for magic.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:56 am

Quote:

What do you mean above, when you say "priests are priests"?

Representatives of a church not mean killing,unbalanced machines like in some other games.

Quote:
How does your game world treat magic, in terms of the reasoning behind it and the way magic works?

Its a natural energy that permeates the Cosmos.People with the 'gift' can tap into it.Training/studying will let you harness your potential better and there are variant traditions(explanation of the intricacies differ,for instance the Gnomes believe there are magical particles,but all spell-casters agree that there is a spectrum of magic which they can see when in mage vision.Quarrox a species of little creatures can naturally see magic auras and pools and are drawn to it, so they have a fondness of casters, and casters in return like them as familiars)

Quote:

I hate mage-healer types in fantasy campaigns, for the record. :)

Depends on how they are presented I guess

Quote:
Actually, you can. I've seen a ton of fantasy roleplaying games that ignore the element of religion in them, and I've seen way too many GMs who don't like having religion in their game worlds, fantasy or not. Remember, there's that old adage about not discussing politics or religion, so perhaps the mindset comes from there. My $0.02. :

Oh definitely but a lot of people assume you need to introduce something

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:17 pm

Quote:
It's important to remember that Desolation is not a class-based system to begin with, it's a skill-based one. That makes for an important difference in terms of how one goes about creating characters, at least from the game mechanics aspects. But in my experience, skill-based systems also make it tougher to create the equivalent of "multi-classed" characters, such as warrior mages, mage healers, etc..

Its easy enough.You can have a magic skill as well as a weapon skill(or specialization) the rest is background, and role-play

Quote:
One of the things I've considered over the years that I've been running Desolation now is to have an actual Alchemist type of character with some sort. There is an Alchemy Talent in the Survivors book, but it seems to be oriented around Gnomish alchemy. Ah, well, perhaps at some point when I have a bit more time... <g>

Sounds interesting,go for it :)

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:33 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Erevos,

Erevos wrote:
JohnK wrote:
What do you mean above, when you say "priests are priests"?

Representatives of a church not mean killing,unbalanced machines like in some other games.

Hmm, I can't honestly say I've played any roleplaying games where priests were treated in quite that fashion. Or perhaps I just missed a few games along those lines. Sure, there's the Inquisition type priest, but those are rare. Most often, priests are portrayed quite so...nastily in rpgs. In my experience, at any rate.

Erevos wrote:
JohnK wrote:
How does your game world treat magic, in terms of the reasoning behind it and the way magic works?

Its a natural energy that permeates the Cosmos.People with the 'gift' can tap into it.Training/studying will let you harness your potential better and there are variant traditions(explanation of the intricacies differ,for instance the Gnomes believe there are magical particles,but all spell-casters agree that there is a spectrum of magic which they can see when in mage vision.Quarrox a species of little creatures can naturally see magic auras and pools and are drawn to it, so they have a fondness of casters, and casters in return like them as familiars)

Hmm, interesting stuff. What cause some people to have the "gift" and others not to? Regardless of that, it sounds like the way you envision magic in the system works pretty much in a fashion that is conducive to using the Desolation magic system, with additions. Are you planning on using Burn in the game? If so, how will that fit in?

In the context of the Desolation game system, it makes sense that only Sorcerers can actually "see" magic, as they're the only ones who work with the Weave in its pure form. How are you explaining the mage vision business for your game world?

Btw, I rather like the notion of the Quarrox. Any chance of getting a write-up (proper description and game stats) for them here in the forums (in the Pass It Along section of the forums of course)? I know I'd love to see them and use them. :)

Erevos wrote:
JohnK wrote:
I hate mage-healer types in fantasy campaigns, for the record. :)

Depends on how they are presented I guess

Not really. It comes down to the fact that unless the mage-healer is being created in a class system, they never have enough skill points and the like to be both a competent mage and a competent healer at the lower end of the spectrum, and if they are, the game system in question is somewhat unbalanced ability-wise. Just my $0.02, mind. :)

Erevos wrote:
JohnK wrote:
Actually, you can. I've seen a ton of fantasy roleplaying games that ignore the element of religion in them, and I've seen way too many GMs who don't like having religion in their game worlds, fantasy or not. Remember, there's that old adage about not discussing politics or religion, so perhaps the mindset comes from there. My $0.02. :

Oh definitely but a lot of people assume you need to introduce something

Not in my experience, and in other forums and the like that I've read. That said, bear in mind that I've been gaming for over 36+ years, and have seen way toooo many game systems. ;)

It's one of the things that attracted me to Desolation...the fact that a post-apocalyptic game devoted a full chapter to material pertaining to religion, and did a pretty thorough job of it, with good guidelines for introducing one's own, new religions into the game if one so desired.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:12 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Erevos,

Erevos wrote:
JohnK wrote:
It's important to remember that Desolation is not a class-based system to begin with, it's a skill-based one. That makes for an important difference in terms of how one goes about creating characters, at least from the game mechanics aspects. But in my experience, skill-based systems also make it tougher to create the equivalent of "multi-classed" characters, such as warrior mages, mage healers, etc..

Its easy enough.You can have a magic skill as well as a weapon skill(or specialization) the rest is background, and role-play

Ah, but there's the problem... This is a system where Talents largely define the character in terms of their "specialness". If I want the character to be a spellcaster, I have to have the Magical Affinity Talent. Sure, I can buy the Melee skill to my heart's content to give the character the weapon basics, but there's all the other survival stuff that you need to concern yourself with in the game. And by taking the Magic Talent, you may not have the Burn Reduction or warrior type Talent to assist you. Just another of those interesting conundrums that faces players in game systems where they have a limited number of points to buy abilities.

Erevos wrote:
JohnK wrote:
One of the things I've considered over the years that I've been running Desolation now is to have an actual Alchemist type of character with some sort. There is an Alchemy Talent in the Survivors book, but it seems to be oriented around Gnomish alchemy. Ah, well, perhaps at some point when I have a bit more time... <g>

Sounds interesting,go for it :)

Some day, down the line, for sure... Just too much stuff I want to do with the game, too many scenarios to write, and a couple of other game systems that are getting in the way of writing at the moment. :)

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:19 pm