It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:16 pm

Dual Wield vs. Flurry 
Scavenger
Scavenger

Post Dual Wield vs. Flurry
Greetings, fellows!

I've got a question about the Dual Wield and Flurry talents. Isn't Dual Wield clearly inferior to the very similiar Flurry talent? Both need a Dexterity rating of 3, so the prerequisites are the same but on the first level Flurry allows to make two attacks at -2 in one round while Dual Wield allows to make two attacks at -4 at the first level. And you need to take Dual Wield three times to be able to attack twice with -0, while you have the same effect with two times Flurry. And Flurry also has the advantage that you make these attacks with only one weapon, so you're able to use a shield with the other hand, too. So why should people take Dual Wield, beside reasons of style?
The only reason I can see is if it's possible to take both talents and make three (or four?) attacks then. Is that possible? Or do I misinterpret something about the talents?

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:19 am
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Post Re: Dual Wield vs. Flurry
You read it correctly...

Attacking twice with same weapon: -4 to each roll
- Flurry reduces this to: -2/-2
- Flurry II reduces this to: -0/-0

As an optional rule for flurrying... I would make a 3rd swing cause a -6 penalty to each roll. (or maybe 8 - what do you think?)

Attacking once with two different weapons: -4 to primary weapon roll / -6 to offhand roll
- Dual Wield reduces this to: -4/-4
- Dual Wield II reduces this to: -2/-2
- Dual Wield III reduces this to: -0/-0

I would only take both talents if you wanted to attack more than twice... it gets really ugly at that point. I would argue that all the penalties stack on the primary hand and an untalented person trying to make 3 attacks (2 primary hand and 1 offhand) would be at: -8/-8/-6. A person trying to make 4 attacks (2 primary hand and 2 off-hand) would be at: -8/-8/-10/-10.

And just to throw it out there... I might take Skill Aptitude: Melee before I took Flurry. That way you get a +2 bonus to all attack rolls, not just when Flurrying. The only downside is that you lose the ability to boost Flurry w/style points.

Discuss. :)

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Thanks. So it's correct that Flurry is much more powerful than Dual Wield? I think that's quite unfair for people who'd like to play a character wielding two weapons. They have less dice to attack and need both hands while characters with flurry have more dice and need only one hand (so they might also have a better defense as they can use a shield with the other hand).

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:54 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

I tend to concur...

I understand why the Ubiquity system has it at -4/-6...-4 to each attack (ala flurry, plus -2 to the off-hand).

You modify the Dual Wield talent as a house rule to just bring it in line with the flurry... you can argue that the additional off-hand penalty being waived is balanced by the inability to use a shield.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Yeah, I already thought about house ruling that. I think I'll do it like this.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:04 pm
Profile ICQ