It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am

Bardic Music 

Post Bardic Music
I'm planning to add in a Tradition of Bards in the Southern Lands and I was wondering what everyone thinks of a Bardic Tradition. Also, what types of limitations should it have as well as what should it affect? Basically I'm asking for a generalized version of the suggestions for creating a Tradition in the Survivors book, though I have already answered a few.

Goblins and Kenku (calling them Raku, as in Raven-folk) are able to use it (Goblins tend to play instruments and Raku tend to sing), the Tradition derives itself from a Religion in the South dominated by Bards. Twin sisters, Harmonii and Discordia are the deities they worship, otherwise it appears very much like that of the Divine Mother and End Father, thought the sects get along well, they accept that for true music, both must exist, and all of Life is a song. The Weave is viewed as the Sisters' composition, the Bards are merely extracting short pieces of their work. Burn is seen as the Bard having misunderstood the concept of the musical selection and Bards will ponder later as to what the true meaning is (roleplaying away!!) to avoid the Sisters punishing the Bard again for his misconception. Charisma is the Base Attribute, of course.

Mostly I am looking for what kind of spells can members cast. I would like a broad array, but nothing too out there or overbalanced. No need for every player group to call themselves the Orchestra.

Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Post Re: Bardic Music
Interesting.

To me, music represents the themes of communication and emotional control; soothing an angry crowd, or motivating them to an action seem like aspects for a Bardic Tradition. Although the Rovers already have the corner on illusions and suggestion covered with Beguiling, I see the Bardic Tradition having its own twist.

That's as much as my sleep-deprived brain can come up with at this point. :)

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:16 am
Site Admin

I like the concept!

If I were to create a bardic tradition, I think it would end up being very similar to the Beguiling tradition, but watered down in some areas and combined with some elements of the Animism tradition.

Beguiling
I picture Bards being able influence and affect the surface levels of perception and emotion, but cannot create lasting changes, dominate people, read minds or any of the more brute force effects that Beguilers possess. Instead of dealing psychic damage, they could deal sonic damage.

Animism
I also see Bards being able to affect luck, which is a staple of the Animist. But I would not allow the Bard to heal or affect the body. This luck could also be seen as inspiration (for granting allies bonuses to actions, etc.) or as distracting (giving enemies penalties).

I would grab freely from the two traditions where their spells fall into the above.

Hopefully this was what you were looking for...

Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:33 pm
Profile WWW

Exactly what I was looking for actually. Thanks.

As a side-note, I may be adding Desolation as a topic on my upcoming podcasts. I'll post more info later.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:03 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Sounds good... let us know if you need anything... Stephen always likes to hear the dulcet sound of his own voice on the internet. :)

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:39 pm
Profile WWW