It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:03 pm

You Gotta Have Faith 
Scavenger
Scavenger

Post You Gotta Have Faith
As I'm considering playing a religious character in an upcoming Desolation game, I've been going through the Religion chapter and the Faith Talents, and I came across something that puzzled me.

The True Faith Talent allows you to spend a Style point and gain an automatic success. How does that work in combat? Is the Talent even applicable in combat, considering there's also the Righteous Warrior Talent (from Survivors) that just gives the character a +2 to his combat skills?

My gut reaction is to disallow the use of True Faith for combat skills, except I can see using it to affect a Dodge/Parry/Block roll.

But then there's also the Righteous Purpose Talent (also in Survivors), which adds an extra die per Style Point spent when furthering the character's beliefs, which I guess would apply for defensive combat rolls.

So maybe True Faith is not applicable in combat at all. :?

Any guidance from the "Holy Trinity" (Stephen, Jamie and Matt) would be appreciated. :mrgreen:

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:23 pm

Post Re: You Gotta Have Faith
You've got me thinking of how to use those traits to represent Michael (and the late Sanya and Shiro) from the Dresden Files now.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Who do you think is my inspiration for Nathyn in the Desolation game, sir? :twisted:

Yes, my plan is to play a paladin of the Argent Path, 'cause if any of the religions in Scondera's gonna have paladins, it'll be them. :D

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:40 pm
Site Admin

We definitely used the True Faith talent in combat. The player can use the talent as a free action as they attack... assuming they are appropriately faithful during the attack. Muttering a prayer, shouting for their god to guide their weapon, etc. And, of course, for their aim to be true and use the talent, they cannot be acting in a manner counter to their religion's beliefs.

They could certainly use it to help with others' attacks as well... but I would not allow this as a free action. They should spend the turn praying if they want to affect others.

While Desolation is a game that wants to emphasize role-playing, character development, difficult choices, etc... the reality is that combat and action are important parts of the game. We wanted a character with the True Faith talent to be able to utilize it during these encounters. Especially if this is the only faith talent they possess.

The righteous warriror, on average, will also gain an extra success without having to spend a style point - but they could also get none. The true faith talent could be used in conjunction with the righteous warrior talent.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:06 am
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Okay. I'm cool with that. I'm still not sure how it works, though.

Combat is resolved as opposed rolls (Attack vs. Defense) with the damage determined by the extra successes. How does the Talent affect this?

Let's say my character, Nathyn, Walker of the Argent Path, has an attack rating of 9L with his long sword, and he's facing an evil bandit with a Defense of 6. Nathyn cries out, "Sansehl guide my sword, in Your Name!" as he swings and I put down a Style point.

What happens?

Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:42 am
Site Admin

Nestor wrote:
Let's say my character, Nathyn, Walker of the Argent Path, has an attack rating of 9L with his long sword, and he's facing an evil bandit with a Defense of 6. Nathyn cries out, "Sansehl guide my sword, in Your Name!" as he swings and I put down a Style point.

What happens?

You would get an extra success.

For example, if you rolled 5 successes you would actually get 6. If you rolled 4, you would get 5.

Matt

Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Oooooh! :idea: *light bulb over Nestor's head*

When you mean "True Faith allows you to gain an automatic success" you mean gain one success as opposed to automatically succeed at whatever task. Color me embarrassed. :oops:

I'll shut up now and go sit in the corner wearing a dunce cap. :mrgreen:

Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:08 pm

The hat suits you. :lol:

Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:15 am
Profile WWW