It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:23 pm

Question About Magic (Skills) 
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Post Question About Magic (Skills)
Hullo, folks,

I was re-reading the section of DESOLATION on the Skills, and noticed something. The Brew Magic Potion Skill does not allow the character to spend Style points on the actual skill roll. On the other hand, the Magic Skill does allow one to spend Style points on the roll. What is the essential difference between these two abilities that prevents the use of Style points in the first case, but not in the second case? (Just trying to understand the magic system a bit better.)

Thanks, in advance. :)

Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:35 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Question About Magic (Skills)
As I think back on the discussions and playtesting (and went back and read the book), I think I've recalled why we wrote the rules that way.

I really boils down to a concern about creating uber-potions by spending style points. The threat/ramifications of Burn, unconsciousness, etc... are greatly reduced when suffered in a controlled environment. People were willing to accept the large amount of Burn create these uber-potions as Burn heals fairly quickly.

In other words, in a normal spellcasting situation, the ability to add style points to create a more potent spell was balanced by the immediate consequences. Brewing a potion doesn't have that balance.

Matt

Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Matt,

Matt wrote:
As I think back on the discussions and playtesting (and went back and read the book), I think I've recalled why we wrote the rules that way.

I really boils down to a concern about creating uber-potions by spending style points. The threat/ramifications of Burn, unconsciousness, etc... are greatly reduced when suffered in a controlled environment. People were willing to accept the large amount of Burn create these uber-potions as Burn heals fairly quickly.

In other words, in a normal spellcasting situation, the ability to add style points to create a more potent spell was balanced by the immediate consequences. Brewing a potion doesn't have that balance.

I was wondering if it had something to do with the game balance thing. I think I realized at the beginning of running DESOLATION that Burn was meant to be part of the game balance for those who play spell casters. It actually didn't occur to me until you mentioned it that there had to be some balance for the potion creation and all, and this makes a lot of sense. And as you say, uber-potions are just...not desirable in the game, methinks. Well, certainly perhaps not the way we seem to envision the After. :)

Thanks for the answer and clarification, Matt. Much appreciated. :)

Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:27 am
Site Admin

You are very welcome... I am just glad people are actually looking at using these skills.

For some reason, I expected them to be a very overlooked and neglected part of the game.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:08 am
Profile WWW
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Matt,

Matt wrote:
You are very welcome... I am just glad people are actually looking at using these skills.

Well, some people are. :) The Craft skills I expected to see used, but to be honest, even I was surprised to see that a couple of my players thought about taking the stuff to make potions and/or magical items. Then again, the two players in question always like those aspects of fantasy rpgs, and have done stuff with them in other fantasy game systems (notably DragonQuest and Ars Magica) when I ran them.

Matt wrote:
For some reason, I expected them to be a very overlooked and neglected part of the game.

Out of curiousity, why? :)

Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:25 am
Site Admin

Matt wrote:
JohnK wrote:
Out of curiousity, why? :)

Good question... I guess because they aren't something I like to deal with when I play. I probably just projected what I expected to like onto the gaming population in general. I'm happy to be wrong, though.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Matt,

Matt wrote:
Good question... I guess because they aren't something I like to deal with when I play. I probably just projected what I expected to like onto the gaming population in general. I'm happy to be wrong, though.

Frankly, I've always found that potion and magic item creation rules and the like are hit-or-miss in most fantasy rpgs. The only rpg that I liked it in, because the rules were quite detailed and well thought out, was the old SPI DragonQuest fantasy roleplaying game, but those rules were contained in a game supplement that never saw print; I was lucky enough to get a copy as a playtester of said material back in 1981 or 1982.

The rules for this in DESOLATION seem to be simple enough that they work well here, but I can easily understand why they're not really emphasized in the game. Scondera is a place where survival is the big thing at the moment, although I could see a few plots surrounding magic items and potions coming up at some point. Would make for an interesting diversion! :twisted:

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:22 am