It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:58 pm

The Limits of Rune Magic 

Post The Limits of Rune Magic
So I've started up my second Desolation campaign and this time people actually took a healthy interest in the magic system. While I welcome it, I have been posed a series of questions regarding exactly what Rune Magic is capable of and I'd like to get some input from the forums.

Could a rune be placed on an object that would cause the object to teleport itself to another location? What about itself and other things around it?

Similarly, could a rune be placed on a doorway to cause that doorway to open to a different place than it presently does? Could runes be linked in that manner to create a limited means of travel between two separate points?

This one was in jest but I did find the potential to be something I need to explore. What if a rune were to be applied to a piece of bread using butter or a similar condiment in order to make the bread toxic?

What about conditional effects, such as a ward that only applies to a specific person. Could that sort of thing be applied to delay a spell's effect until a specific condition is met, such as a time of day or the presence of an individual?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:21 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: The Limits of Rune Magic
DoNotFearToTread wrote:
So I've started up my second Desolation campaign and this time people actually took a healthy interest in the magic system. While I welcome it, I have been posed a series of questions regarding exactly what Rune Magic is capable of and I'd like to get some input from the forums.

Fantastic! Let's start some magic talk...

DoNotFearToTread wrote:
Could a rune be placed on an object that would cause the object to teleport itself to another location? What about itself and other things around it?

I would argue that carving a rune onto an item to cause it to teleport would be possible, as an object's location is one of its properties (from a certain point of view). I would make it a Very Hard or Nigh Impossible spell. I would also probably reduce the difficulty if it were it were tied to a location with a similar rune to tie them together.

I would not allow an object to be able to teleport things around it - like a bunch of people touching a staff. I could be persuaded to let it affect things contained within it - like a backpack. But again, I would increase the difficulty.

DoNotFearToTread wrote:
Similarly, could a rune be placed on a doorway to cause that doorway to open to a different place than it presently does? Could runes be linked in that manner to create a limited means of travel between two separate points?

I would argue that this is beyond the capabilities of straight Rune Magic. However, if used in conjunction with Sorcery, such things are definitely possible - and were somewhat common in the Before.

DoNotFearToTread wrote:
This one was in jest but I did find the potential to be something I need to explore. What if a rune were to be applied to a piece of bread using butter or a similar condiment in order to make the bread toxic?

I think that would not only be feasible, but worthy of a style chip in the right circumstance.

DoNotFearToTread wrote:
What about conditional effects, such as a ward that only applies to a specific person. Could that sort of thing be applied to delay a spell's effect until a specific condition is met, such as a time of day or the presence of an individual?

Yes, although the more specific the condition, the higher the difficulty of the spell.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:53 pm
Profile WWW