It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:19 pm

The human race 

Post The human race
As humans are the base line for races they don’t have any plus or minus racial traits. I get the impression that it can make then a bit boring when compared to other races.

Has anyone thought of maybe giving them an extra starting talent to represent their diversity as a race? Or would this make them too unbalanced at the beginning.

Jamat

Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:43 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

Post Re: The human race
jamat1066 wrote:
As humans are the base line for races they don’t have any plus or minus racial traits. I get the impression that it can make then a bit boring when compared to other races.

Has anyone thought of maybe giving them an extra starting talent to represent their diversity as a race? Or would this make them too unbalanced at the beginning.

Jamat

That's a good thought.

It would make a nice house rule, at minimum, for someone that wanted to indicate that.

Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:23 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Our intent was the make each of the races balanced enough that the human shouldn't need a special talent to be equivalent. Hopefully the negative racial traits were enough, but if not, the social stigma and/or restrictions definitely should.

As for boring... I think that's in the hands of a player more than the system. I've run across plenty of drow characters out there that had lots and lots of special abilities, but were pretty boring. I think the most interesting part of a character is the MPH (motivation, personality, and history).

But heck, if you are finding the no one wants to play humans and you want to give 'em a boost, feel free. It certainly won't hurt any feelings over here at Greymalkin. Whatever makes your games and stories more enjoyable.

Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Matt wrote:
But heck, if you are finding the no one wants to play humans and you want to give 'em a boost, feel free. It certainly won't hurt any feelings over here at Greymalkin. Whatever makes your games and stories more enjoyable.

mmmhmmm.... sure.

I can already see you sulking. :)

Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:50 pm
Profile YIM
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Jamat1066,

Hmm, I must have missed this thread the first few go rounds. So I'll comment on it now...

jamat1066 wrote:

While that would certainly be one way to go, I think that there is a misperception here. The non-human. As for playing a Human being "boring", that's more a matter of the player and his or her premise and background for said character. For example, I could play a human from Cushulain, who happens to be a farmer, and make him quite boring, or I can give him some interesting background elements and personality, and make the character interesting. It's really all in the hands of the player and their creativity.

Just my $0.02. :)

Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:01 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Matt,

Matt wrote:
Our intent was the make each of the races balanced enough that the human shouldn't need a special talent to be equivalent. Hopefully the negative racial traits were enough, but if not, the social stigma and/or restrictions definitely should.

As for boring... I think that's in the hands of a player more than the system. I've run across plenty of drow characters out there that had lots and lots of special abilities, but were pretty boring. I think the most interesting part of a character is the MPH (motivation, personality, and history).

I agree with everything you said, Matt...and have had personal experiences with players to back the sentiments up. :)

Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:02 pm