It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 12:27 am

Animal Affinity Talent? 
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Post Animal Affinity Talent?
Hullo, folks,

I've noticed that the Animal Affinity Talent is missing in this edition of the game rules for the world of DESOLATION. Was this an accidental omission or deliberate, and if the latter, why?

Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:01 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Animal Affinity Talent?
JohnK wrote:
Hullo, folks,

I've noticed that the Animal Affinity Talent is missing in this edition of the game rules for the world of DESOLATION. Was this an accidental omission or deliberate, and if the latter, why?

We took that out on purpose. The primary reason was to save space. (You'll probably get tired of hearing me say that.)

We tried to keep everything from HEX that we could, but to make room for new stuff, we had to remove some other stuff. Nothing was removed because we hated it or thought it was broke.

As for why we chose chose not to keep other talents, it was mostly a judgment call where we thought that the talent has a limited use or was redundant/underpowered when compared to other talents.

In this case, we thought the Animal Affinity talent didn't really fit into the setting the way that it does in HEX and wouldn't be missed as much as others.

Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Post Re: Animal Affinity Talent?
Hullo, Matt,

Matt wrote:
JohnK wrote:

We took that out on purpose. The primary reason was to save space. (You'll probably get tired of hearing me say that.)

We tried to keep everything from HEX that we could, but to make room for new stuff, we had to remove some other stuff. Nothing was removed because we hated it or thought it was broke.

As for why we chose chose not to keep other talents, it was mostly a judgment call where we thought that the talent has a limited use or was redundant/underpowered when compared to other talents.

In this case, we thought the Animal Affinity talent didn't really fit into the setting the way that it does in HEX and wouldn't be missed as much as others.

Insofar as that last point is concerned, I can definitely see a use for Animal Affinity in the societies where various types of animals played key roles. Some of the animal kinds of magic could be associated with this, as the folks are using a form of Talent, rather than actual magic, to work with animals. But I do see your point here. (And I'm not making my point as well I thought I would, since I'm still a bit under the weather and the mental gears aren't clicking over quite right yet.)

Ah, well, perhaps in the "Survivors" book, right? :)

Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:41 pm