It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:20 am

Racial Bonuses Clarification 
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Post Racial Bonuses Clarification
Hullo, folks,

In the section on the Racial abilities, pages 65-70, several of the races get abilities that read like this: "One extra die whenever you spend Style points on <specific Attribute>-based rolls."

Does this mean that it's only rolls that cover the use of the Attribute or that cover a Skill roll using that Attribute, or both? And in the case of the Reflexive Attribute roll, one adds the die before or after doubling?

Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:55 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Racial Bonuses Clarification
Hi, John,

It's only on rolls just using that attribute, not skill rolls.
As for when you add the dice, without the rules in front of me, I'm pretty sure you double the attribute first, then add the style point dice (which will then include the racial die bonus).

Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:33 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Stephen,

Stephen wrote:
It's only on rolls just using that attribute, not skill rolls.

That's actually what I had figured, to be honest, but some folks might interpret it the other way. The problem is the phrasing used there is such that it might taken to include all rolls that use the Attribute in question in one way or the other.

Stephen wrote:
As for when you add the dice, without the rules in front of me, I'm pretty sure you double the attribute first, then add the style point dice (which will then include the racial die bonus).

That makes sense. It means that it is literally just a bonus die, for the racial Attribute, and not more global.

Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:12 pm
Site Admin

Ultimately, the GM will make the call, but hopefully the spirit of the bonus will be interpreted as intended - as a bonus die, not to be multiplied up. Likewise, style points spent on bonus dice should be the final step, and players shouldn't "double dip" with their use.

Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:23 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Stephen,

Stephen wrote:
Ultimately, the GM will make the call, but hopefully the spirit of the bonus will be interpreted as intended - as a bonus die, not to be multiplied up. Likewise, style points spent on bonus dice should be the final step, and players shouldn't "double dip" with their use.

One can hope. :)

Thanks for the clarification on this stuff.

Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 pm
Site Admin

After re-reading the manual a bit, we are going to muddy up the clarification we gave earlier. :)

We talked about it recently, and since the book says "Intelligence-based rolls" and not "Intelligence rolls", we think it should expand out and include skill rolls. It does NOT include Secondary Attribute rolls.

Overall, this makes the trait more useful to most of the races. Especially if you take talents such as Bold Attack and are a Rover.

But remember, it's not *that* powerful. It only adds 1 dice.

For example: Krek the mongrel spends a Style Point on his Melee skill (strengh-based), so he gets two extra dice to roll instead of one. Sasha the Rover spends 5 Style points to improve her Perfomance skill (charisma-based), so she gets 6 extra dice to roll instead of 5.

Feel free to discuss... but this is how I have been running in my games.

Sorry for the confusion.

Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Matt,

That interpretation is not a problem for me, as that was what I thought it meant originally. Personally, I think of it as just another way of getting players to spend Style points. :)

Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:04 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

FWIW, I thought the intent was to include Skill rolls, too, and will likely play it that way.

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:36 pm