Magic damage 
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Post Re: Magic damage
Hullo, Nestor,

Nestor wrote:
:o

Ah! Enlightenment!

The calculation for spell damage defines how many Wounds the spell causes, not dice!

The scales have fallen from my eyes! Hallelujah! Thank you, brother, for guiding this unworthy one to the light! :D

Oops, I thought you already knew this... Man, does that explain the confusion over this. :)

Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:45 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Jamie,

Jamie wrote:
Exactly.

Just as an aside, this made me recall a spell suggested by someone playing Menelaris at one of our quick booth battles at Gen Con. Krek's player was rolling badly and his arrows kept flying wide. Menelaris' player (who had already used magic to blow down a pillar on a Deep Horror -- and rolled well enough to still be standing) wanted to know if he could use his air-related magic to make sure Krek didn't miss by guiding the arrows to their target. That's the kind of creative magic and teamwork that got him a Style point -- though he never got to try it cause Krek's next arrow took out the Deep Horror sans magical enhancement.

Yep, had something like this happen back in March in the campaign game I was running. The player wanted to use his air magic to increase the range of the arrows another character was shooting. What kind of modifier to the DIF did you give the player for this? Using the Alter/Enchant Objects table at the time, I called it a +2 to the DIF.

Good or bad call?

Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:50 pm
Site Admin

JohnK wrote:
Yep, had something like this happen back in March in the campaign game I was running. The player wanted to use his air magic to increase the range of the arrows another character was shooting. What kind of modifier to the DIF did you give the player for this? Using the Alter/Enchant Objects table at the time, I called it a +2 to the DIF.

Good or bad call?

+2 works well. How much more range did you allow?

Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Jamie,

Jamie wrote:
JohnK wrote:

Good or bad call?

+2 works well. How much more range did you allow?

At the time, I based it on the range of the weapon in question, which is now on the chart on page 199. So, as a general rule, I gave them an extra 1/2 the range listed on the chart, except for the weapons like longbow and crossbows, where I quartered the value instead. I was trying to keep things fast and easy, and at the time only had the playtest versions to work off, so... In retrospect, that may have been too generous, but your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:08 pm