It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:27 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Obligatory Introductions Thread 
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Post Re: Obligatory Introductions Thread
Hullo, Mark,

ElectricPaladin wrote:
Wow... here I come, thinking "Desolation, I like that game... funny how I'm not registered on the forums." I go to register, and discover I already am! Only I never posted or introduced myself or anything. Jeez, I must be going prematurely senile or something.

Anyway, my real name is Mark Simmons. I'm a freelance writer with one White Wolf contract under my belt, Hebrew school educator, and out-of-work, um... I've had so many day jobs it's hard to figure out which one to call myself. I'll go with the one I liked best. *ahem* And out-of-work internet marketer.

Welcome to the DESOLATION forums, mate! :) Always great to see new folks here, especially those with such an excellent roleplaying pedigree! :)

Just be careful where you walk here in the Warlands. The carrion reapers are quite prevalent in these parts, and...oops, too late! :)

ElectricPaladin wrote:
I have a livejournal: http://electricpaladin.livejournal.com, where I post personal stuff, comment on games, books, and news. I'm in the middle of the post a character for every game I own experience and just did Desolation a couple of days ago.

Yeah, saw the DESOLATION character creation that you did, and keep meaning to comment on it, but never seem to have the time. Btw, I'm an LJer too (http://jkahane.livejournal.com), and friended you around the time I saw the DESOLATION character generation sample. We seem to have a few interests in common. :)

ElectricPaladin wrote:
Anyway, I'm looking forward to spending happy hours on this forum. Desolation fills an absolutely integral niche in my library: a system light, high-plot fantasy game that isn't Exalted and I'm (unfortunately still) looking forward to playing with it.

That's a good way to sum up DESOLATION. The game is remarkably smooth in its system, as befits the Ubiquity line of games, and has a very cool magic system with a neat fantastical setting to go with it.

Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:16 pm

Greetings all

Since I've just registered on this forum I thought I'd pop in and say hi...

Hi! :wink:

My name is Chris ... I live in New Zealand, and I've been playing RPGs for well over 30 years now (eek now there's a sobering thought) ... started out with D&D, but have also played Traveler, Runequest, T&T, CoC, Shadowrun and many others over the years. I must say what I've read of the Desolation system thus far intrigues me mightily. And the setting it just awesome. Even just reading about it has me itching to play ... and to write fanfic.

I am likely to be more of a lurker than a serious post monkey, but I will definitely going to be back plenty to keep reading about this. Who knows, one day one of the very few gaming stores here in NZ may even bring in a copy of Desolation and I might get hold of it. That'd be cool.

cheers all !

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:38 pm
Site Admin

Welcome, Chris!

Glad you like the setting and I hope you get a chance to play it. Tell those game stores to order up some copies ;) We'd love for you to share any Desolation fan fiction on the forums. There are already some great fan fic posts.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Chris,

Welcome to the DESOLATION forums and all that good stuff. Always good to see a new face here. :)

You'll find folks are quite friendly and all that, and the folks from Greymalkin are pretty cool, too! :) Now, watch out for that pair of carrion reapers,it looks like... ::duck:: oops, too late!! :)

muklowd wrote:
My name is Chris ... I live in New Zealand, and I've been playing RPGs for well over 30 years now (eek now there's a sobering thought) ... started out with D&D, but have also played Traveler, Runequest, T&T, CoC, Shadowrun and many others over the years. I must say what I've read of the Desolation system thus far intrigues me mightily. And the setting it just awesome. Even just reading about it has me itching to play ... and to write fanfic.

I am likely to be more of a lurker than a serious post monkey, but I will definitely going to be back plenty to keep reading about this. Who knows, one day one of the very few gaming stores here in NZ may even bring in a copy of Desolation and I might get hold of it. That'd be cool.

Good stuff, Chris!! You've hooked on to a really neat game in DESOLATION that has some very simple, easy to learn, game mechanics, and a fascinating game world that offers all sorts of good stuff for GMs and players alike. (As for the itch to play and all, well, you could order a copy from the good folks at Greymalkin Designs,and then run the game down Under, and hook game store owners to order it in that way...)

Anyway, cheers from Canada! :)

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi My name is Chad and I have been playing RPG's since 1977. I have been through various versions of DnD including 4th ed. Also Shadorun, Burning Wheels, etc. I also have a passion for CCG's Computers and writing. Currently I am a Cell leader building security equipment and a pursuing a degree in Information Systems which I din't start until i was 40.

I was looking for a new system for my Fantasy games and one that was easy to make any character I wanted. I ended up witn Desolation after reading a ton of reviews. I am going to play in the world but see the game as a good fit for my own world to. If I can figure out how to make races, monsters, etc I will probably port my Lenjendary Adventure material over to this system.

Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:16 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

isidorus13 wrote:
Hi My name is Chad and I have been playing RPG's since 1977. I have been through various versions of DnD including 4th ed. Also Shadorun, Burning Wheels, etc. I also have a passion for CCG's Computers and writing. Currently I am a Cell leader building security equipment and a pursuing a degree in Information Systems which I din't start until i was 40.

I was looking for a new system for my Fantasy games and one that was easy to make any character I wanted. I ended up witn Desolation after reading a ton of reviews. I am going to play in the world but see the game as a good fit for my own world to. If I can figure out how to make races, monsters, etc I will probably port my Lenjendary Adventure material over to this system.

Very cool. :)

Thanks for the details.

Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:30 pm
Profile YIM
Scavenger
Scavenger

Hello everybody!

Since I already wrote some posts I think it's best to introduce myself here now.
I'm Gilgamesh, in real life people call me "Andi" and I'm a 20 years old student of politics and economy in a town called Erlangen near Nuremberg in Franconia (Germany).
I found Desolation via HEX and had my first game session on Monday (the next will be tomorrow. :)). I like the setting and the Ubiquity rule system seems to be very much of the perfect system for me I have searched for so long.
I'm looking forward to some discussion and exchange here in the forums though everything here looks a bit asleep. But maybe I can help changing that. ;)

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:53 pm
Profile ICQ
Scavenger
Scavenger

Welcome aboard! Woo hoo! We've gone Continental! :D

Please, by all means. If you have any questions, concerns, criticisms, or suggestions, let 'er rip. We especially love hearing about folks' campaigns and adventures, so if you're willing to write out some synopses, we're all ears! :)

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:04 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

Thanks. :)

Maybe I will post some reports of my Desolation game sessions here, that's no bad idea.
I do my best to get Desolation more popular here in Germany and maybe the coming release of the German translation of the HEX core book can also convince some people of the advantages of the Ubiquity system. I myself found Desolation via HEX and gave it a try because I love Ubiquity. And hey - it's a great setting!

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:10 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Welcome to the forums, Gilgamesh. Glad to hear you're enjoying Desolation. We appreciate the support!

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:39 am
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Thanks.
I think I already convinced someone to buy the Desolation core book. ;)

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:38 pm
Profile ICQ

Hello all, been reading the forums for awhile and since I'm getting both books finally I decided to join.

I live in Southern Ohio, in a town called Wheelersburg, which I have decided would never survive a zombie apocalypse. I've only been playing tabletops for a few years, but have since created the largest Tabletop RPG group I've ever heard of that actually gets funds from the college they are based at. We are almost 30 strong now, but unfortunately only have about 6 storytellers, though we hold training sessions for anyone that wants to learn more. We are constantly adding new games to our reserves and so far we have:

~New World of Darkness
~Vampire: The Masquerade
~DnD (yes, play play 4e, we like it better, cue haters :lol: )
~Pathfinder (for those who don't like 4e...)
~ZEAN Variant (won't find this one out there, a friend of mine and myself holed ourselves up for a night and created the system, I can get anyone the rules or more info if you'd like it)
~Risus
~Dawn of Worlds (I have a group that just likes making worlds with vivid histories, kinda cool actually)
~And soon, Desolation will be added to the repertoire

I have ST'ed for everything except DnD and Pathfinder (not a fan of d20), but I'll play anything I can get my hands on, including the atrocity that was and is the Two Worlds tabletop game *shudder*. Not a big fan of Cthulu, and that's always met with some surprise, but I like long-lived characters that build reputations and don't have a limited game-time. Also I like to save on paper and character sheets = paper.

Moving on to Desolation. I found it by chance actually. I was searching for some races for Dawn of Worlds and one of the hits was the character races for Desolation. Started reading and some things caught my eye: elves were banished from nature, gnomes can't use magic and there was a terrible apocalyptic event. I was sold. I've been a big fan of players getting into character and rolelaying without needing to rollplay. Read the book a little (friend got the PDF) and I was hooked, this has become my favorite system of all time to work in story-wise. I have since ordered hard-copies of both books (they should be here very soon) and am looking forward to reading Survivors.

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Welcome to the forums. Glad to hear tabletop gaming is alive and well on campus. Sounds like a great group with lots going on. I hope you enjoy Desolation. Your books were shipped Saturday from Northeast Ohio, so they shouldn't take long to get across the state. We'd love to hear how you make use of the setting and reports on your games.

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Welcome to the forums! :)

Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:18 pm
Profile ICQ
Scavenger
Scavenger

Howdy to Gilgamesh and Arsenal!

I've been very absent of late.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:53 pm
Profile YIM
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next