It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:09 pm

From HEX to DES 

Post From HEX to DES
So, after some thoughts of what to do after my current HEX campaign ends and the reaction of my players after each session ("I always have a blast playing HEX!"), I broke down today and bought the Desolation book. I didn't think I'd need it with D&D, but Desolation has a ton of potential story wise that I think will give my group a different take on fantasy.

Now, the wait begins for the book to arrive...

Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:45 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: From HEX to DES
Welcome to the party!

We hope you enjoy the book once you get it. Did you plan on playing it with HEX or just use the setting for a D&D campaing?

I've heard a couple of people comment that they might just lift the setting, but I've never gotten any reports on how it worked (or if they even followed through on the idea).

Regardless... let us know how the games go.

Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:34 pm
Profile WWW

While I may lift a few things from Desolation into HEX, my intent is to run a full Desolation game. My group has really bought into to the Ubiquity system with our HEX campaign, and I'm thinking of running Desolation after our HEX "season finale" next month.

Can't wait to get the book!

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:03 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Shrieking Emu,

Shrieking Emu wrote:
So, after some thoughts of what to do after my current HEX campaign ends and the reaction of my players after each session ("I always have a blast playing HEX!"), I broke down today and bought the Desolation book. I didn't think I'd need it with D&D, but Desolation has a ton of potential story wise that I think will give my group a different take on fantasy.

Now, the wait begins for the book to arrive...

Welcome to the DESOLATION and Greymalkin forums, Emu! Always good to see some more crossover from the HEX forums here, and good to see a new poster and some more brainpower on the list! :) Now, be a good boy and go over to where the carrion reapers are circling that pair of bodies, so we can find out what items they have so we can scavenge it up! :)

I think you will be pleased with DESOLATION once you receive the book. The game world has some interesting stuff in it, and the hooks and all are ready for the taking and running with them. You already know the Ubiquity system, having played HEX and all, so the game mechanics will be very familiar! :)

Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:08 am

I received the book Saturday, and managed to get through the "Before" chapter in the midst of a busy weekend. I love the setting. It strikes the balance between written depth and leaving room for GM's discretion. The writing made me feel much more invested than if I would have read a regional entry from another campaign setting book.

Assuming the players don't disagree, we'll probably start Desolation next month. I plan on a role-playing intensive game, which HEX has helped start to foster in the group. They love Ubiquity, and I'd like to show them that D&D isn't all there is to fantasy RPGs.

So far, so good. Great job!

Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:55 am