It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:49 pm

Why Ubiquity and not D20? 
Site Admin

I think it has more to do with GMs throwing horrible things at players and feeling guilty ;) Seriously though, most of the Style points have been earned through great roleplaying. The "shades of gray"/survivalist mentality has people really playing up their faults and making tough decisions in character based on the MPHs.

Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Jamie wrote:
I think it has more to do with GMs throwing horrible things at players and feeling guilty ;) Seriously though, most of the Style points have been earned through great roleplaying. The "shades of gray"/survivalist mentality has people really playing up their faults and making tough decisions in character based on the MPHs.

Interesting notion about the guilt factor here, Jamie. (That said, there must be some *horrible*, vile things to throw at the players in the game if they're spending scads of Style points.) :)

I figured that the game would cause players tohave a lot of tough decisions to make in character because of the nature of the world of Desolation, but the scads of Style points thing seem more oriented towards an action/adventure game rather than a fantasy one. That has bene my one real concern about the Desolation game, and the use of the Ubiquity style system in it.

Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:49 pm
Site Admin

I figured that the game would cause players tohave a lot of tough decisions to make in character because of the nature of the world of Desolation, but the scads of Style points thing seem more oriented towards an action/adventure game rather than a fantasy one. That has bene my one real concern about the Desolation game, and the use of the Ubiquity style system in it.

I think this relates to the "what kind of game is Desolation" question. If we've accomplished our goals, it should be able to handle a high level of action/adventure as well as a traditional dungeon crawl/quest adventure or an epic storyline.

The most action/adventure example of the largest one-off uses of Style points I've seen:

A rover swordsman leaping from a rebuilt wall that surrounded a town and landing on the back of a weave-touched schlekk (big, normally docile swamp grazer -- but this one was crazed and oversized) that was attempting to knock in the wall. He delivered a crippling blow as he landed on it. He got a lot of Style points donated for that move. Very action/adventure scene, but it was wrapped in a gritty fantasy scenario.

Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Jamie wrote:
Quote:

I think this relates to the "what kind of game is Desolation" question. If we've accomplished our goals, it should be able to handle a high level of action/adventure as well as a traditional dungeon crawl/quest adventure or an epic storyline.

I suspect you're right about this... Will the GM section have a good chunk of material on running games of Desolation and styles (no pun intended) of the game that can be run with the game?

Quote:
The most action/adventure example of the largest one-off uses of Style points I've seen:

A rover swordsman leaping from a rebuilt wall that surrounded a town and landing on the back of a weave-touched schlekk (big, normally docile swamp grazer -- but this one was crazed and oversized) that was attempting to knock in the wall. He delivered a crippling blow as he landed on it. He got a lot of Style points donated for that move. Very action/adventure scene, but it was wrapped in a gritty fantasy scenario.

Thatr sounds really...great... :) Damn, but I wish I was where you guys were, and got to play Desolation in your playtests and campaign games!! :)

This emphasizes the point you made quite nicely, methinks. :)

Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:02 pm