It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
What's next? 
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Post Re: What's next?
Hullo, Imajica,

Imajica wrote:
A Gazeteer of the Before would be excellent! A travel guide like the old Realms supplement!

Yes, this appeals to me as well.

Imajica wrote:
I've a hankering to run a scenario that jumps back and forth in time - or runs in both the Before and the After at the same time. Players in the Before group would have some effect on the After group, maybe leaving messages for their future selves. Perhaps have the After group as an expedition to find out what happened to the Before group. A gazeteer would help with that no end.

I've had an idea along these lines for some time now, and have written out basic notes on the scenario idea and how the events Before connect to those being dealt with by the player characters in the After. Needs a lot more work, of course, but I love stuff like this! :)

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:51 am
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Nestor,

Nestor wrote:
If this is the right place to offer this, I'd like to suggest that the GM screen be designed with the "pages" in landscape format, rather than portrait.

I've had the fortune of acquiring the French HEX GM screen and it's laid out that way. I like the fact that you can look over it easier, yet still have the information visible for your use.

Just sayin'... ;)

I'll second this idea. While I love my HEX GM Screen very much, there are times with the system and several others that I wish the Screen were landscape rather than portrait for this very reason. The old Blue Planet GM Screen was a good example of how to do a landscape GM Screen right.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:54 am
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Matt,

Matt wrote:
I agree on the landscape orientation for the GM screen...

Now, let's take a step into the hypothetical.

Assuming we had 4 panels - what you you think should be on them?

I was thinking:

1 - Magic info
2 - combat info
3 - equipment & weapons
4 - skills/rules
5 - setting info - list of nations, races, etc...

It seems to me that the GM Screen panels could definitely use certain tables. Others have already mentioned some of the basics for this, but I would also like to see the equipment charts from Survivors included in the Screen, perhaps as part of the booklet that would accompany it. Would make using the new Scavenging rules a whole lot easier, imo.

I would certainly want to see the combat manoeuvres and Health stuff, as well as the rules for determining Effects and Difficulties on spells, but the latter two would take up quite a bit of room on the Screen. In the booklet perhaps?

Matt wrote:
I would want to stay away from character generation stuff, as I think the gm screen is a tool for the GM to use during the game.

I agree, but still would like to see the Skill List, Difficulty values, that sort of thing on the Screen. The summary of Races with their benefits and disadvantages might be useful here, too.

Matt wrote:
Also... it seems that it is not enough to have a GM screen, but it must also have new content... what would be cool that hasn't been done before?

Well, there has to be an adventure of some sort included with the GM Screen. That's practically a necessity. As for new content, I don't know...have to think about this...

Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:01 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

Are there any news about upcoming stuff? I'd really like to have a GM screen. What are you planning for 2010 apart from the recently released Survivors PDF (I already bought it and I'm really looking forward to run the bonus adventure)?

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:59 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

We really wanted to do a nice GM screen as well, but after researching the costs vs. sales potential, that's not in the cards this year. By "nice" I mean horizontal tri-fold color hardcover with a scenario shrink wrapped inside. We are looking for better prices and other options, such as drop-in sheets for the plastic binder-type GM screens other companies use, or if there's any interest in an old-school (thinner cardboard) screen that would cost less than the hardcover screen. But, we're guessing (like us) you have your hearts set on a nice screen, so we're trying to make that happen.

For this year, we plan to release a supplement of multiple scenarios that can be played together as a long campaign, or individually. They will include new details on various regions, cities and settlements, new creatures and new optional rules. Once scenario will be based entirely in the Before, for example, so there will be new information on how to run that type of adventure.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Thanks for your answer. I agree on the GM screen, so it might be better to focus on other things for now. The adventure supplement sounds great. The most interesting thing on playing in the Before is the question of how to handle magic, I think.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:33 pm
Profile ICQ
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Hullo, Jamie,

Jamie wrote:
We really wanted to do a nice GM screen as well, but after researching the costs vs. sales potential, that's not in the cards this year. By "nice" I mean horizontal tri-fold color hardcover with a scenario shrink wrapped inside. We are looking for better prices and other options, such as drop-in sheets for the plastic binder-type GM screens other companies use, or if there's any interest in an old-school (thinner cardboard) screen that would cost less than the hardcover screen. But, we're guessing (like us) you have your hearts set on a nice screen, so we're trying to make that happen.

While the nice GM Screen would be nice, it doesn't have to be along the lines of the HEX one. You only have to look at the Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space GM Screen to see a screen that is lovely, not as thick as the HEX one, and still reasonably priced. Cubicle 7 did a great job on the GM Screen. That said, yeah, I *do* want a bootiful screen for the game, so... :)

Jamie wrote:
For this year, we plan to release a supplement of multiple scenarios that can be played together as a long campaign, or individually. They will include new details on various regions, cities and settlements, new creatures and new optional rules. Once scenario will be based entirely in the Before, for example, so there will be new information on how to run that type of adventure.

Now this sounds like it will be a great product, Jamie, and I have to say that I'm rather looking forward to this, honestly. Will there be some out-testing of the scenarios at all? Would love to playtest this out-house for you guys.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:52 pm

I've been leaning towards a cross-time chronicle and I've been dying for some good Before information, so that supplement promises just the thing I've been looking for. I'd love to do some playtesting as well if you guys would like, I've got a few players here who would love to help out.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Glad to hear it!

We'd love to have some off-site playtesting of the Before rules and will make a formal announcement about how to get in on it in the coming months. Thanks for the offers to help.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:26 pm
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Great. :)

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:20 am
Profile ICQ

What I would buy (in order)
1. Book on the before
2. Some well done adventures
3. Other worlds (Planescape/Stargate idea for lack of a better way to describe it)
4. A guide to how to run a sandbox style game
5. A sci-fi space opera game using this version of Ubiquity set in a destroyed empire like Desolation.

I'm sure there are other things to I just have not thought of.

[edit] I forgot a BIG one! A monster book would be #1.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:42 pm
Scavenger
Scavenger

MortonStromgal wrote:
What I would buy (in order)
1. Book on the before
2. Some well done adventures
3. Other worlds (Planescape/Stargate idea for lack of a better way to describe it)
4. A guide to how to run a sandbox style game
5. A sci-fi space opera game using this version of Ubiquity set in a destroyed empire like Desolation.

I'm sure there are other things to I just have not thought of.

[edit] I forgot a BIG one! A monster book would be #1.

Don't know about the other ones, but I happened to notice something that might satisfy #1. :wink:

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:45 pm
Site Admin

Wow. It's a little scary that you guys knew that was there before we did. ;)

Hopefully we'll also satisfy #2 above.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Scavenger
Scavenger

Jamie wrote:
Wow. It's a little scary that you guys knew that was there before we did. ;)

Behold the power of the Internet. :mrgreen:

Quote:
Hopefully we'll also satisfy #2 above.

Awesomeous. I look forward to putting down some coin at your booth come GenCon to get some goodies. :D

"Love is a battlefield... littered with corpses."

Free-floating agent of chaos. Reasonable rates. Inquire within.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:19 am
Scavenger
Scavenger

Yay! I'm really looking forward to run this campaign. I could really use the magic rules for the Before! :)

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:32 am
Profile ICQ
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next