It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:17 pm

Let's talk about the MAKE OR BREAK 

Post Let's talk about the MAKE OR BREAK
Okay guys it's crunch time. Battlefield has already said they are backing off the Gen Con release date. A date I see as one of the most important dates in the gaming calendar.

If you make a big impression at Gen Con you can cement a firm W in the win column, and if you don't make that impression you can be gone by NEXT Gen Con. It's just my opinion, but it's one I stand by as I can look back on the skeletal remains of companies that didn't make it.

So, what are your Origins and Gen Con plans? How hard are you going to hit this con? What are some of the plans that you have in store in terms of Demos, promotion, and your booth space?

How sure are you that your maiden voyage is in the water at GEN CON?

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:45 pm
Profile WWW

Hell, why I'm at it, and I love you guys, we're all part of the family as far as I'm concerened, what are your thoughts about D&D 4.0.

You're releasing a Fantasy game at the same time that THE monster on the block is coming out for blood.

Also, will Desolation have ribbons built in as book marks? I assure you it's a good idea :P

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

John Aynge wrote:
Also, will Desolation have ribbons built in as book marks? I assure you it's a good idea :P

Actually, that would be really cool to see, giving the books the feel of an ancient tome of some sort. Of course while neat to see, I can see this costing a bit more, too. Heck, at this point, I just want a copy of the game! :)

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:23 pm
Site Admin

It's Gen Con or bust. Well, not bust I guess -- but missing Gen Con is not an option. We're going to make as big a splash as possible in the face of the tidal wave that is 4.0.

The bookmark is an interesting idea. I'll check on the cost.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:27 pm
Profile WWW

The book mark idea is a running joke. Last year at the ENNIE awards (I expect to see you guys up for a few in 2009) Monte Cook's PTOLUS got several awards, and it had the built in book marks. So, me and my buddy started to say that everything should have book marks,

You should consider naming your book DESOLATION 4.0, and see if that drives sales up :twisted:

Jamie wrote:
It's Gen Con or bust. Well, not bust I guess -- but missing Gen Con is not an option. We're going to make as big a splash as possible in the face of the tidal wave that is 4.0.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:23 am
Profile WWW

You should consider naming your book DESOLATION 4.0, and see if that drives sales up :twisted:

Call 4.5 then eveyone will skip buying any 4.0 books :P

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:22 am
Site Admin

We have thought about buttons that say "First and ONLY edition." and things like "Save the Gnomes" or, it occurs to me now it might be funnier to say "In Desolation, Gnomes try to save you!" but eh....

Hopefully interest in the genre will be useful. Any RPG purchase is good, any spike in the RPG market is good, but we'd rather they were buying OUR fantasy RPG.

Of course, 4.0 will have already come out, right? It comes out in June...

And also, we'll push the fact that the setting of Desolation would be PERFECT for anyone's new 4.0 campaign.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:31 am
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Jamie wrote:

Cool, would love to see it. :) The horror rpg from Britain, Principia Malefex, was set up to appear as a black tome with gold lettering on the front cover, and had the silky black ribbon/bookmark inside the book, attached to the spine. I've always wondered why no one else did this sort of thing. I could see the ribbon being an ashy brown or a grey of some sort. :)

That said, don't do that if the cost of the book would be driven up. But you already know that. :)

Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:17 am
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Stephen wrote:
We have thought about buttons that say "First and ONLY edition." and things like "Save the Gnomes" or, it occurs to me now it might be funnier to say "In Desolation, Gnomes try to save you!" but eh....

I like the buttons idea, and have to say that I would buy a Gnome button for sure. Hmm, what about different buttons to reflect the different species (elf, mongrel, gnome, rover, and so forth)?

Quote:
Hopefully interest in the genre will be useful. Any RPG purchase is good, any spike in the RPG market is good, but we'd rather they were buying OUR fantasy RPG.

Yeah, me too. I really hope sales on the book are good. Are you guys have pre-orders taken yet by the distributors, or has the marketing stuff not yet gone out? I would love a poster for Desolation, and the cover illo from the book would be a terrific basis, methinks.

Quote:
And also, we'll push the fact that the setting of Desolation would be PERFECT for anyone's new 4.0 campaign.

:lol: Ooh, that was good...:)

"DESOLATION....where your mundane D&D fantasy world takes on the shape of a postapocallyptic nightmare!"

hehe

Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:22 am

We have thought about buttons that say... "Save the Gnomes"...

It's possible I may have a little too much free time....

-The Merry Wives of Windsor

Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:05 am
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Ooh, that's frackin' brilliant, that is!! :) Would love to get a button along these lines! :)

Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:37 am

Hullo, Jamie,

Jamie wrote:

Cool, would love to see it. :) The horror rpg from Britain, Principia Malefex, was set up to appear as a black tome with gold lettering on the front cover, and had the silky black ribbon/bookmark inside the book, attached to the spine. I've always wondered why no one else did this sort of thing.

How quickly you forget the time the people at Staples called the cops on you... :roll:

Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

sross wrote:
JohnK wrote:
Hullo, Jamie,

Jamie wrote:

Cool, would love to see it. :) The horror rpg from Britain, Principia Malefex, was set up to appear as a black tome with gold lettering on the front cover, and had the silky black ribbon/bookmark inside the book, attached to the spine. I've always wondered why no one else did this sort of thing.

How quickly you forget the time the people at Staples called the cops on you... :roll:

I haven't forgotten the cops coming into the Staples store because the guys there thought I was copying stuff out a real black magic book, Steve! (Had to remind me of that, didn't you?) :) But this wouldn't be the same, you know? The Desolation cover doesn't look like that, for one thing.

Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:06 am
Site Admin

Hullo, Wolverine,

Ooh, that's frackin' brilliant, that is!! :) Would love to get a button along these lines! :)

That's frickin' amazing :) I love it.

Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:32 am

Post Re:
JohnK wrote:
Hullo, SteveR,

sross wrote:

I haven't forgotten the cops coming into the Staples store because the guys there thought I was copying stuff out a real black magic book, Steve! (Had to remind me of that, didn't you?) :) But this wouldn't be the same, you know? The Desolation cover doesn't look like that, for one thing.

:shock: Guys, that's hysterically AWESOME. Right out of a movie!

(Note: I'm driving through the Desolation forum. It may take me a while to get to the recent stuff.)

Last edited by Rabbit in the Moon on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:03 pm