It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:45 pm

Gen Con Scenario 
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Post Gen Con Scenario
Hullo, folks,

As one of the folks who wasn't at Gen Con <sob, sob>, I was just wondering what scenario was run at the convention for DESOLATION?

And how did the playtesting go, and what came out of the playtesting?

Thanks. :)

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:51 pm
Site Admin

Wow, can't believe we didn't answer this one, very sorry!

While we don't want to give everything away about the scenario (as we'd like to use it again, ha ha!) it introduced concepts regarding magic, the harsh realities of survival and some of the unique creatures of the setting. Each of the three groups handled things quite differently, which was fantastic for playtesting purposes, as well as entertaining for everyone involved!

Players understood the concept of magic having a price (Burn) though few were put off from trying it out as often as they could, which was also a good thing. We learned a lot from that too, and we'll be revising our design to take those discoveries into account.

And I think it was clear to everyone involved just how different Desolation is from the typical fantasy setting. People appreciated how much grittier it was, and how difficult decisions sometimes needed to be made.

Much fun was had :)

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:31 pm
Playtest Survivor
Playtest Survivor

Yes, I'm back... :)

Stephen wrote:
Wow, can't believe we didn't answer this one, very sorry!

Nope, you didn't...but look how long it took me to answer your post! :)

Quote:
While we don't want to give everything away about the scenario (as we'd like to use it again, ha ha!) it introduced concepts regarding magic, the harsh realities of survival and some of the unique creatures of the setting. Each of the three groups handled things quite differently, which was fantastic for playtesting purposes, as well as entertaining for everyone involved!

That is good news to hear. :) Was this scenario one of the ones that was xent out to playteters? (There were only two of these right?)

Quote:
Players understood the concept of magic having a price (Burn) though few were put off from trying it out as often as they could, which was also a good thing. We learned a lot from that too, and we'll be revising our design to take those discoveries into account.

And I think it was clear to everyone involved just how different Desolation is from the typical fantasy setting. People appreciated how much grittier it was, and how difficult decisions sometimes needed to be made.

Much fun was had :)

The key wilth most convention oriented scenarios for any game system, let alone DESOLATION, is the fact that a) it must be fun, b) it should teach the basic mechanics of the game; and c) it should give the players a good idea of what the game system is like. I assume that the DESOLATION scenario did just that? :)

Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:48 pm